Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel 7.45 unicode no Oracle 11g support

antonio_vacas
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi All

I don't know if there is any other customer in the same situation but we are planning to upgrade a ERP 6.0 to EHP7 without upgrading Oracle 11g to 12c. This is totally possible with Kernel 7.42 but we found out that this kernel will be out of support from 31.03.2017. The only option is to move forward to 7.45 and to migrate to Oracle 12c if you are using UNICODE, in our case using red hat linux.

SAP must give support to all their products with Oracle 11g even if you are in extended support.

Anyone in this situation? Why Kernel 7.45 was only thought to be using Oracle 12c

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Anotonio,

Indeed the PAM shows that 745-UC can only be used with ORA 12.1 yet 745-NUC can be used with ORA 11.2.

If I were you I'd open a message with SAP to get the answer direct from them whilst hoping that a SAP employee on SCN replies to you.

KR,

Amerjit

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

antonio_vacas
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks to all.

antonio_vacas
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi

I did open a message but I cannot understand how SAP is pushing his customers to spend money in upgrading Oracle when in our case we are considering migrating to HANA, but we need time for this

"The reply from SAP is that this is a design decission", the type of decision that cost customer's money 😉

Imagine a customer with NW 7.4 Kernel 7.42 UNICODE and Oracle 11g you will be out of SAP Kernel support on March 2017.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Antonio,

So you got a reply from SAP.

I understand what you're saying and I also understand the confusion with the PAM. Why would 745-NUC be supported with 11G but 745-UC only supported with 12C.

Maybe SAP could try and explain 11G 745-NUC and 12C 745-UC so customers can better understand the design decision.

KR,

Amerjit

former_member189797
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Antonio,

I would recommend to follow the PAM and in addition you can check for oracle and 745 kernel release specific notes. If you upgrade to 740 release and with 745 kernel + oracle 11g, upgrade fails in initial phases with error. you can check the kba 2305493.

Regards,
Gaurav

0 Kudos

Hi Antonio,

this is an error in the PAM. ERP6 EHP7  sits on top of NetWeaver 7.40. For this NetWeaver release Oracle 11.2 and the 7.45 Unicode kernel are fully supported.

We are currently in the process to fix this. Can take a couple of days.

Best regards,

Christian Graf

Development Manager Oracle Platform Team, SAP SE

Former Member
0 Kudos

Christian,

Thanks a lot for clearing that up as it made no sense.

Cheers,

A.

former_member185239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Antonio,

You can use the DCK kernel 745 for your environment.

Have you check the PAM, kernel 745 is supported on 11g on red hat.

1969546 - Release Roadmap for Kernel 74x and 75x

With Regards

Ashutosh Chaturvedi

antonio_vacas
Explorer
0 Kudos

Not in the case of UNICODE, if you search Linux and 7.45 UNICODE there is no Oracle 11g option for EHP7. If you choose NON-UNICODE then you got the option