cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Determination?

former_member193761
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts, I have an requirement where i need to replace a normal material with a Sales BOM(Substitution reason is 004 or 006). System gives error that BOM can not be exploded...what is the way out to achieve this requirement?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did I understand you correctly?

You have material A, which you wish to substitute with material B with reason 0004 or 0006 (generate sub-item) and material B has also sales BOM, which you also wish to explode?

If the answer is yes, then sorry, this will not work in standard, persuade the client to use a reason that does not generate sub-items (I assume that the sales BOM is more important to keep in the document).

former_member193761
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Veselina,

Your understanding is correct,  blank substitution reason works here(but client doesn't want this). As soon i switch to substitution reason 004 or 006, create sales order, system gives error message as  "Structure explosion for item 000011 is not possible". Is there any way(any enhancement) by which i can meet this requirement? If it is not possible what is the rationale behind it?

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You are getting message V1578, which provides very detailed explanation, you must have read it before you posted in the forum.

If you need a longer explanation for your client why exactly what you are trying to do is not possible, then you can find it in 454937 - Explanation of the BOM explosion.

If the client still has some 'doubts' - your case/problem is explained in note 549341 - FAQ: BOMs in the sales order, question 1/answer 1.

No idea what the business scenario is and why it is so important for it to have the substituted material as a sub-item.

I don't think that finding an exit for material determination will help you achieve exactly what you ask - the problem seems too fundamental.

Maybe you will have to develop the whole functionality by yourself if they still insist on that, but if I were you, I would try to understand first what they need the original item for and then search for workarounds or ask the client for a compromise.

former_member193761
Participant
0 Kudos

requirement is to provide a substitute in case of stock out situation of material A and material B is actually material A(physical appearance) and quantity is a multiple of B. say 1 A= 3 B.

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This does not explain why the client needs to keep also the original item.

You already managed to achieve substitution without item generation - what is the reason that this is not acceptable?

You can get which was the original material (from VBAP-MATWA) and you have the header of the substituted product in VBAP-MATNR. From there you can easily get the sub-items. If you want, you can also print the original material instead of the substituted one - it is also available as a standard setting.

Change request requirements don't always explain the real business need, probably you need to discuss with your client how they report stock shortages.

former_member193761
Participant
0 Kudos

You already managed to achieve substitution without item generation - what is the reason that this is not acceptable?-- My understanding is this happens in case of no stock check...is this incorrect?

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

With BOM explosion it will work only for full substitution, partial substitution is not possible, because you cannot use outcome <> ' ' with BOM materials. If you have 20 EA available for A and need 28, you can either substitute 28 of A with 28 of B or have two separate items - one with 20 EA of A (can substitute with itself, because you have the stock) and another item of 8 EA, which will be substituted with 8 of B. If you show a popup for selection as with reason 0005, the user can see the available quantities for the original and the second material.

reazuddin_md
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear,

From your above example,

- Material A is not BOM material, but replacement of Material A i.e. Material B is BOM material ==> just re-confirm this with the user

if yes, replacement part is BOM material.

- Confirm with user stock situations all the possibilities like below & what is the expectation

Case 1) No stock of Material A

Case 2) Partial stock available for Material A

Case 3) Complete stock available for Material A

my assumption:  Order lines expected to appear in Sales order.

Case 1 & 2

10 -Material A

11- Materail B (as B is BOM material, B has to explode)

Case 3

10- Material A  (no substitution needed)

Here, plz check sub item item category configuration having "structure explode=A" maintained or not (like in regular BOM explosion concept)

Regards,

former_member193761
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Reazuddin,

That is the exact requirement. But as explained by Veselina Peykova this requirement is not achievable in standard. I get message V1578.

former_member193761
Participant
0 Kudos

I don't want to go with reason 0005 because we have a third party ordering system and there few constraints around it. If I need to replace one material with other(non BOM with a BOM) and also would like ATP to check stock of item A how can I make it possible?

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think I already mentioned it - you will need to develop the whole functionality for adding/substituting products with ATP check by yourself.

How and what would be the logic - no idea, try to think how you would like this to look like in foreground and then go and speak with a developer if it is possible.

I guess, you will need to run ATP check, get partial confirmed quantity, create item 1, then for the remaining part run substitution in background like with 0000 reason and create item 2.

If a client does not like any of all these suggestions and will not accept any compromise to the original requirement (the 'waahh I wanna' reaction), I wouldn't bother further and suggest to find somebody else to do this (a magician, perhaps).

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Please check BOM creation date .. Regards Manju

former_member233130
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Pls check your item category(vov7) if it was configured as enabling bom explosion.