cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HANA HW Configuration Check Tool - Storage KPIs

0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm currently running a few tests with the HWCCT and a few things are unclear to me.

During the landscape test a lot of steps were skipped without any information why. I guess it's because I'm running the tool inside a virtual machine and so a few bare metal tests could not run

The next thing is that the tool tells me my SLES11 SP4 installation is not supported, but the real reason is that no one added SP4 in the case statement inside the python script. And SP4 is now available for over a year.

The most important part should be the file system module. As I understand I have to run this test with "duration: long" to get the TDI approval. And as a preview I could compare my results with the table in chapter 2.2.3.

The output of the check is more detailed then the table. For example the table in the guide has in each case only one column for  "Initial Write", "Overwrite", "Read, "Latency" but inside the script there are multiple values. So which value is the correct one to compare?

For example, the script output for the log volume 16K / 16 GB file size:

Which value is the correct one to compare it with the corresponding "Overwrite" and "Latency" KPI for 16K/16GB?

As I understand I passed the check what would be surprising to me because I'm running the test on an non- certified storage without any tuning. Or do I have to consider things like the file system caches?

Thanks

Achim

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

pauler
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I got a reply to my customer message. As stated there the green marked values have to be taken for the comparison with the KPIs for throughput.

Hope this helps.

Best

Robert

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

nthsol
Participant
0 Kudos

Did anyone find the value to use to compare the KPIs for the latency?

Is it realy the "Latency:....................." after in the chapter "Results of Overwrite Test"?

Or is it some other value?

0 Kudos

Yes, latency is the big question cause our iSCSI storage is in all three sections below the mentioned 1000 us for 16K log volume (long duration)

And the only answer to the question "why no certified iSCSI storage" I was able to find was because of the latency.

nthsol
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Achim,

that's right, you need to compare the result of the "duration:long" storage check.

if you have a look at the entire output file you will notice it contains some kind of titles that give you the blocksize like

********************************************************************************

* Output of Results for 16M blocksize                                                            *

********************************************************************************

From "chapter" you need to get the values to match the KPI Table. Comparing the results from the newest HWCCT to the older ones I would guess we need to compare the values from "I/O time:........."

I will do a few more tests on my Landscape and give you a more accurate feedback.

Due to my assumption this would give you the relevant output.

egrep "I/O time:\.{3}|blocksize|Throughput Test|Latency Test|-------------|Result of|\*{10}" <your result file>

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Niklas

pauler
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi, thank you for your replies. I also opened an incident regarding this topic. Let's see what it results in.

pauler
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Achim,

I'm asking myself the same. Did you get some information about the KPIs and the corresponding values from fsperf?

best regards

Robert

0 Kudos

Unfortunately no. And on top SAP Support has answered my support ticket with a friendly "not related to the SAP Product Support".

former_member183326
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did SAP give you any further recommendations maybe?

0 Kudos

Of course yes, the so called recommendation was: "read the storage whitepaper"

https://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-62595

But no further help with the tool itself.