Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SM58-Old Logs

nitesh_ranjan
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I need a suggestion.

We have very old logs in SM58.Can we clear those logs?

Can it affect DB consistency ?

Regards

N R

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Johan_sapbasis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

May be an invalid comment, maybe also consider historic records i.e. is there a legal requirement in your country to keep any of this beyond a certain point?

Sometimes things like these just get missed and makes housekeeping more difficult and waste space as well.

Good luck.

J

isaias_freitas
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello J,

SM58 entries are just temporary entries.

Ideally, SM58 should be empty, which would mean that all application (functional / business) data was posted to the corresponding target system.

Cheers!

Isaías

isaias_freitas
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello NR,

I agree with Amerjit.

Before deleting SM58 entries, you need to involve the functional team related to those.

SM58 entries store data that an application wanted to post to somewhere else (it could be the same SAP system, but usually is a different. remote system).

If you still see the entries at SM58, it means that data was not posted yet.

In addition, there is no way to recover entries that were deleted from SM58.

The application that originally created them would have to recreate them, if possible.

Thus, simply deleting the SM58 entries might cause data inconsistencies from a functional / business perspective.

Regards

Isaías

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello NR,

If you have old entries in SM58. Check with the functional owners or the users involved.

More often than not you'll end up deleting the failed RFCs.

KR,

Amerjit

nitesh_ranjan
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Amerjit,

We have very old logs for failed tRFC.

Do it will affect DB?

Regards

Saurabh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Saurabh,

Having old RFCs sitting around doesn't effect the DB unless we're talking 100s of thousands as you will then most likely take a performance hit on the *RFC* tables.

If as you say the failed RFCs are *very* old, just for your own security, check with the users or functional owners involved.

The way I look at it, if they are seriously old then deleting probably wont be a problem as if they were critical someone would have complained or remarked by now.

As a guardian of the system I am generally loathe to delete data unless I get it confirmed as these things have a way of coming back and biting you later.

KR,

Amerjit

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
raviraj_sap
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh

Please check the below mentioned link:

Also, there are two SAP Basis Standard Reports, you should be safe with these:

RSARFCDL         Cleans up log file for sm58 transfers

RSARFCEX    Retries entries in sm58 that may have failed due to temp conn errors

Thanks

Ravi