Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP EWM Creation of packing specification for Quantity Classification

nikhil_kumar9
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I am working on the Quantity Classification and my requirement is to set up QC in such a way that if the stock comes in Boxes, it should go to a storage type B001 and if it comes in Pallets, it should go to P001.

The challenge is in setting up the packing specification. How do i set up various levels such that one level is specific to Box and another to Pallet.

Example:

Upto 20 PC = Box

Upto 50 PC = Pallet

I am using the Target and Min qty in the pack spec and have 2 levels. Is this the right way to go?

Also, what is the different between the "qty classification' which is mentioned in the General section of Storage Type and "PutawayQtyClass" which is in the Putaway Control section.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

nikhil_kumar9
Explorer
0 Kudos

I also went through couple of posts where people have already discussed about the the QC.

https://scn.sap.com/thread/3906482

https://scn.sap.com/thread/3484659

Did not find a comprehensive solution referring the posts above. Can anyone help me with all the config steps that would be required to set up quantity classification during putaway and picking?

former_member183610
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nikhil,

To maintain the different QCs, it would required to have the different packaging specifications.

this can not be supported straightway until unless implement the enhancements ( BAdI).

check the BAdIs ' /SCWM/IF_EX_PS_DET_DETERMIN & /SCWM/IF_EX_PS_DET_EVALUATE' to determine the suitable packaging specification as per the QC.

BR,

C K Reddy

nikhil_kumar9
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi CK,

Thanks for this. I will go through this and get back in case i come across any issues.

As of now, i am trying to test a simple scenario to see if quantity classification works.

I have the below data setup and config:

1. Pack spec maintained with single level. The QC indicator is maintained in the warehouse tab of the level.

2. Condition record maintained under condition type 0IBD. (Mentioning this as i had seen you maintaining OWHT in one of your posts.

3. Receive the ID in base UoM.

Config:

1. Quantity Classification indicator mentioned at the storage type level(both General and Putaway)

2. Storage type search sequence - Single storage type with the quantity classification.

3. Optimize access strategy checked to consider QC

Even then when i create a warehouse task, the system is proposing a different storage type altogether which is not even in the search sequence. I have even tried to limit the search by HU type and Bin type assignment but that also is not helping.

Is there anything else that i might be missing out on?

I have also referred the post :

https://scn.sap.com/community/extended-warehouse-management/blog/2016/01/12/ewm-put-away-quantity-cl...

Regards,

Nikhil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nikhil,

Create different pack spec for each type of quantity classification.

PS1 for box

PS2 for pallet.

Define two different logical conditions, one for quantity <= 20 and another one for quantity between 21 to 50.

LC1  qty <= 20

LC2  qty btw 21 to 50.

Define condition records and  with above logical conditions to determine the correct pack spec.

Regards

Srinivas.

nikhil_kumar9
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Srinivas,

I dont think standard SAP allows us to create 2 different packspecs for a single material. I am unable to create two different packspecs in my system as per your recommendation.

Therefore, my original questions still remains: How do i set up various levels such that one level is specific to Box and another to Pallet.?

Is it possible in a standard packspec that i create 2 levels in such a way that only 1 level gets picked based on the quantity limit?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nikhil,

use different pack spec groups then system will allow you create multiple pack specs for the same material.

Regards

Srinivas.

nikhil_kumar9
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

This does not work as well. First issue is that even after creating pack spec with different PS group, the condition record that i have to maintain at the header level is still the same and in this case, the system is not allowing me to create a new pack spec with a duplicate condition record.

Second, If i tweak the condition record a little, it does let me create a pack spec but it does not serve the purpose. The third issue is that even with 2 pack specs for a material where i have taken care of the quantity and levels in both the pack specs, the determination is not happening as expected. Only one pack spec gets determined.

Regards,

Nikhil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nikhil,

The product is linked to UoM, UoM is linked to QC, QC is linked to Putaway strategy.

Not sure about your business requirement, but I think you don't have to use packspec to set the putaway strategy.

Regards,

Karl

nikhil_kumar9
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear Karl,

We also have an option of mentioning quantity classification in the packsepc so that the system is able to find a storage type based on that.

My requirement is not to control it via product. Eventually, the requirement is to pick the stock from Cartons or Pallets depending on the quantity and hence it would make sense to enable the putaway in a similar way as well.

Regards,

Nikhil

Sandip_S
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nikhil,

First you define 3 quantity classification Indicators for e.g. A, B & C and assigned UoM according to your requirement.

A - Piece (EA/KG)

B - BOX

C - Pallet

You should define 3 level in you packaging specification.

Define as below:

Level 1 - 1 EA

Level 2 - 1 BOX = 10 EA (e.g.)

Level 3 - 20 BOX = 1 Pallet

Assign the same quantity classification indicator at the respective storage types. B to B001 and P to P001.

Define your stock removal strategies with the storage type search sequence and quantity classification.

Thanks,

Sandip

nikhil_kumar9
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear Sandeep,

Thanks for coming back on this.. Please find the details below:

Define your stock removal strategies with the storage type search sequence and quantity classification.: I am trying putaway in this case.

First you define 3 quantity classification Indicators for e.g. A, B & C and assigned UoM according to your requirement. : Done.

Assign the same quantity classification indicator at the respective storage types. B to B001 and P to P001: Done

You should define 3 level in you packaging specification: Done. During putaway my expectation is that the system should pack the stock as per quantities that are defined at various levels and should not create nested HUs. As of now, nested HUs are getting created as a result of having multiple levels.

For example:

Level 1: Packing in a Box - If the receipt is upto 20 quantities, it should get packed in a BOX.

Level 2: Packing in a Pallet - If the receipt is more than 10 but less than 50, it should get packed in a Pallet.

Question is, is it really possible to achieve this using packspecs?

Also, what is the different between the "qty classification' which is mentioned in the General section of Storage Type and "PutawayQtyClass" which is in the Putaway Control section.