cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variable length header problem

0 Kudos

Hi guys,

I have an issue where I am creating a new Adobe form where the Header that needs to be printed at the top of the page has a variable length to a degree where sometimes only 3 lines should be printed and other times 15 lines.

This Header should be printed on each page, and will have the same layout on all pages in the same run, but it may be totally different in subsequent runs.

If I create this Header in the Master Page I will need to place my Content Area below, which means that in the cases where only a few lines should be printed in the Header, a lot of blank space will exist between the end of the Header and the start of the detail section; this I do not want.

So instead I have tried to add the Header as an Overflow Leader of the detail data table; here I face the problem that if I use a flowed subform, for some reason all the Header fields are placed in the first line only, and I cannot use a positioned subform, since the whole idea is to avoid the additional blank space.

I hope that some of you are able to help me with this issue, I am really running out of ideas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

prajeshdesai
Contributor
0 Kudos

You need to check three things for your issue,

1). You must have Text Field control in header row.

2). Check Allow Multiple Lines of Text Field.

3). Check Expand to Fit of Text Field layout.

and your sub form content must be flowed.

Hope this helps.,

0 Kudos

Hi Prajesh,

Thank you for your input, this might have been the solution if my header was just one field, but I need a header consisting of several individual fields, as an example I have created a small test application, this is how it looks:

So as you see I have assigned the header Head as the overflow leader of the table.

The header Head is flowed Top to bottom and is set to Auto-Fit in both directions, all 3 fields in the header Head are set to Expand to fit in both directions.

When testing this gives the following header at overflow:

So the fields are printed on top of each other. To avoid this I wrap each field in another subform within the Head subform, these subforms I make positioned:

This produces an output which looks correct:

However I need the elements of the header to be variable depending on the situation, so I place a small script in each field:

I now try to test where I leave the variable text fields as blank, now the header on page 1 looks correct:

But the overflow headers on subsequent pages shows blank lines:

So this is the problem, how to write an overflow header with several fields, and avoiding blank space.

prajeshdesai
Contributor
0 Kudos

I provided one alternative of this issue in below blog,

But this is using tables.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos

Hi Prajesh,

I tried your suggestion, and although it works in your scenario where you have 2 distinct headers, in my case the idea was that all 23 header fields can be selected or not by each of our business segments, and then the header would be printed with exactly the fields chosen, so there could be an infinite number of different headers, so that does not Work with your proposal.

I guess it might be that this is not possible at all, so I will instead try to persuade the business to agree on a common header or accept any blank space in the header.

But thanks a lot for your suggestions.

KR, Claus 

Answers (0)