Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning area merge vs overwrite/ replace

andrew_craven
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I'd appreciate your guidance on this, as I'm sure others will. We're on a 4.0.2. system. The effect of planning area overwrite/ replace is pretty clear, the target is overwritten with the source. But what about 'merge'. Is this the equivalent of 'insert/ update' in database terms? If so, 'merge' would be most appropriate for minor planning area updates eg when one key figure is changed?

Important too, for both merge and overwrite/ replace the effect on snapshots/ attribute key figures is not explained and apprears to be buggy/ inconsistent. Anybody know how this works?

Regards

Andrew

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andrew,

What problem you face with Snapshot and Attribute as KF in the COPY function. It should COPY both from the source planning area. Only restriction is following as documented in the model configuration guide:

"If you copy snapshots and attributes as key figures using Overwrite Existing (Replace), the result is the same as if you had used Merge. You have to manually remove unused configuration for snapshots and attributes as key figures."

You mentioned 4.0.2 version, is it 4.0.2.0? If yes, that is pretty old release. The latest version is 4.0.2.5.

Best regards

Rinju

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andrew

If you have a small change like single KF or MD you can do copy merge which you can refer to "insert/update" in database, rather than copying whole planning area with all configuration. Attribute also work as KF copy merge/Overwrite.

For snapshot KF - As far as I know it not working when you do copy merge or overwrite whole planning area. You have to select it manually. (Experts can comment, if am wrong)

Regards