cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HANA Client

Former Member
0 Kudos

A few years ago I did an opensap training course on HANA. At that time we needed the HANA Studio and HANA Client on the local machine.

More recently I've been asked to run Tableau on Windows to extract data from HANA on Linux. From what I read I will need HANA Client on the Windows machine. However whereas once the client was easy to find it is now  hidden. Several web pages give instructions for locating it in the service market place but when I go there it is no longer visible.

It used to be on pretty much the front page of the developers centre but again I can't find it there.

Has  the client be phased out? Is this the reason it no longer is available for download? If so how do we connect a third party tool to an AWS HANA instance?

Typically client was used to connect to AWS instances of HANA. With the advent of HANA on Cloud what will happen? Can third party tools like Tableau report on HANA Cloud? If so, how do we connect them?

Thanks

Cliff

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

chandan_praharaj
Contributor
0 Kudos

Now the scenario has changed. This was the old setup. No need of HANA client any more.

As the HANA client is used to connect to HANA system, It contains REGI tool configuration to called by HANA to access and sync Dev artifacts.

now studio is self sufficient to handle these. read the thread. or this thread

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Chandan,

However I think you may not have completely understood my issue. I want a third party reporting tool (Tableau) to connect to HANA. Tableau and HANA will reside on different servers. I have read that if I install the HANA client I can then use ODBC to create a DSN and connect through that to HANA.

My question is what does HANA client appear to be not available in any of the download sources. If it is no longer needed what do we use to create an ODBC connection. For ODBC we need to specify the server and port but HANA on Cloud does not provide this.

Thanks'

Cliff

chandan_praharaj
Contributor
0 Kudos

You can do this directly from Tableau. You dont need additional driver for this. can you please go through this link.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

While Chandan is probably right about that Tableau comes with the required drivers, the question about where to download the SAP HANA client software (containing the JDBC, ODBC and SQLDBC drivers along with libraries for Python) comes up again and again.

And in fact, it's not necessarily straight forward if one was very much accustomed to the traditional SAP software download facilities (gosh, remember there was a sapservX once... ).

Nowadays, downloads can be found via the support launchpad:

https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/softwarecenter/search/SAP%2520hana%2520client

A little bit counter intuitive (at least for me) is that you first (1) have to search for Software Categories that might fit and then (2) filter a second time on the result list to actually find the client software.

From there it's then straight forward to download the binaries.

Answers (0)