cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LVM VMWARE Provisioning - error during copy activity

0 Kudos

Hi Guys

We are performing a provisioning copy with LVM which is configured with VmWare Adapter.

Copy operation is composed  by successives activities ;

1. Prepare VM Clone
  2. Clone VM and Ensure DB Consistency
  3. Post VM Clone
  4. Start
  5. ...

The 2 first activities are in success, but the VM Clone is not created, so the next activity 3-Post VM Clone is in error.

After reading logs in vla and lvm, no information seem relevant to help investigation.

I think about missing authorization on vcenter but I hope SAP error message should inform that.

Thanks for your help.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

In the steps list, where did it originally fail or does your screen shot show the first point of failure?

If so I would also go to the vCenter client console and watch to see if it kicks off the VM clone (which is a snapshot and then clone and then removes the snapshot - don't blink on the snapshot steps). The clone in VMWare will take a few minutes depending on VM size.

If it does not kick off in vCenter then either the commands are not getting to vCenter (permissions on resources etc of the VLA user) or something like not enough space for the Clone in the datastore you are cloning to.

I will also look at the task logs in the vCenter client to see if it is actually getting kicked off in vCenter - if nothing there then go back to the VLA logs as there will be an error - /var/log/apache.../logs

Hope that helps point you to a couple of options to check.

Ken

0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your interest,

I added some permissions to vLa user according to your previous post and now i can see on vcenter that vla user perform clone action.

but new error occurred in next action with message

"Could not execute operation PROVISION. Can't determine folder for VM sap-pgc (Workflow:LVM provisioning, create vm from template/snapshot / Set Parameters (item2)#6"

I think about permission missing again. see screenshot.

Second point, in provisioning tab, when i want to manage snapshot and perform "Take System Snapshot" i received an error message "No storage found for any instance of the system"

Missing authorization are really frustated !!!!

Thanks a lot

Wilfried

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wilfried,

I would check a couple of areas further.

1. The Resource Pool you created in vCenter should have some storage assigned to it like a datastore with enough space for your Clones/Copies.

2. The resource pool also needs to have the LVM_Appliance role permission on it - on vSphere client (browser one), go to Hosts and Clusters and look for the Pool that you want to create your Clones in and select the group that it is in - check the manage/permissions tabs to see lvm-user is there and then the datastore tab to see what datastores are there and if you have enough space - you may have to create one for that group.

3. When you do the clone in LVM it will prompt you at one screen for the Pool that you want to place the system in - you have to select it and then press next screen. In mine I have a Prod and QA pool - it defaults on Prod because that is where you have the prod system deployed but you have to then open the group for QA and select the QA pool as the location for the Clone.

0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

On our Vcenter, we didn't define resource pool because it's not an obligation for VmWare.

Is it mandatory to provision system by LVM ?

Thanks for your interest.

Wilfried

0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

We have added all permissions to vla user. Then we connected to Vcenter by this user and performed a snapshot and clone a system. No authorization issue occurred.

That means permissions are great now for Vla user.

As noticed in previous post, we don't configure pool resource on Vcenter.

We checked the space free before running clone.

Same issue has been reproduced.

"Could not execute operation PROVISION. Can't determine folder for VM sap-pgc (Workflow:LVM provisioning, create vm from template/snapshot / Set Parameters (item2)#6"

Have you another idea ?

Thanks for your interest.

former_member213552
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Wilfried,

I'm the Product Manager for the VMware Adapter for SAP LVM.  Sorry to see your struggling to get our solutions working together. 

I would suggest creating either an SAP Message or VMware Service request and my team will be assigned to look at the issue directly and provide direct assistance.

In the mean time I will also take your error message above and send it over to my support guys to investigate the issue and together we will work to provide you a resolution which once we find it I will post it back to this thread to share with the rest of the community.

If you have any issues logging a message or service request simply reach out to me directly and I'll assist you with this too.

David Gallant

Product Manager

Business Critical Applications Engineering

VMware

dgallant@vmware.com

Answers (0)