cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Provisioning Agent : OracleLogReaderAdapter Vs ORACLE GENERIC (ODBC)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We just installed SAP HANA SPS 11 in Red Hat 6 VM and the Data Provisioning Agent in another Red Hat 6 VM.

We want to replicate in Hana some Oracle 12c tables (hosted in another Red Hat 6 VM).

We don't need real-time replication, batch all 15 min is OK.

We see in SAP documentation "SAP HANA Enterprise Information Management Administration Guide" that we can use the OracleLogReaderAdapter to connect HANA to Oracle.

However, we also see in HANA Studio an "ORACLE GENERIC (ODBC)" Adapter when I try to create the Oracle remote source.

But this adapter wasn't mention in the documentation.

Do you have information about this adapter? Can we use it to replicate Oracle tables in HANA? What are differences between these two adapters?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards.

Romain

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

williams_ruter3
Active Participant

Hello Romain,

This ODBC generic adapter is not mentioned in EIM documentation because it's a native Hana connection, however going by Oracle Generic ODBC will force you install Oracle driver on your Hana server, the log reader will allow you to not doing this, you need to load the oracle jdbc driver on the DP agent server instead.

Yes you can use OracleLogReader to replicate table in Hana, it is base upon replication on source table change captured.

When you use generic adapter you will need to create the virtual table you want to work with manually, going by SDI adapter will generate if for you over the workbench and generate procedure as well from the workbench where you can also make all the transformation you need on specific table that you want to replicate in Hana.

Using SDI can be very useful in many scenario, i have created documentation on it that you can check on my content.

Williams

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Williams and thanks a lot for your answer.

I read your documentation and it is very helpful. I can know replicate a table from Oracle to Hana !

Just a point about it: you mention real time replication, but what about batch replication? I don't find information about it.

Do I have to create replication task and batch it or use flowgraph? Do you know where I can find more information?

Regards.

Romain

williams_ruter3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Romain,

You also can choose whether to create a real-time or initial load (batch) processing.

Real-time transactions are updated continuously. When the source is updated with a new or modified record, that record is immediately processed. Whereas initial load is updated only when the process is started or is scheduled to run.

If you choose the real-time execution option, then both a task and an initialization procedure are generated. Otherwise, only a task is generated.

Williams

Answers (0)