cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have installed a new ECC5 system on Oracle/Linux. Everything looks fine except that the startsap and stopsap scripts are not able to start or shutdown the database. It fails with ORA-01031: insufficient privileges.

The SAPR3 user has CONNECT, RESOURCE AND SELECT_CATALOG_ROLE ROLES. The system user has DBA,SAPDBA, and AQ_ADMINISTRATOR_ROLE..

To try out things, I have executed the sapconn_role.sql script to grant the sapconn ROLE aslo to SAPR3 user. But the same problem is there.

The oracle user environment and everything else seems to be fine as everything else is working.

What might be the problem here? What am i missing?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You were right on the money Amit.

I cant do a connect "/ as sysdba" with sidadm user. It fails with the same insufficient privileges error.

Thanks.

I think this means that the sidadm user doesnt belong to the dba group. Actually, there is seems to be a problem with our NIS environemnt as it does belong to the dba group but there seems to be some inconsistency.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Cyrus,

Try the following:

1. Login as <sid>adm

2. start command prompt

3. sqlplus /nolog

4. conn /as sysdba

5. Try startup/shutdown

If still issues, please see if Note 1028220 helps.

Regards

Srikishan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

You are logged on with which user .It should be <SID>adm or and administrator user.Other wise you won't be able to start stop the SAP system.

Also for shutting down oracle,log in with <SID>adm and then start sqlplus and connect as

"/ as sysdba ".

I think this should work.

Please award points for helpful answer.

Best Regards

Amit