Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect to the new instance which created

former_member183044
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Good day...

I was configuring SQL server 2005 on Windows server 2008. After configuring all, i clicked on MS SQL studio and gave the instance name which i created. After clicking on "connect" , the following error message is coming

Can any body help in this matter as our management is counting on me....

Please help

Regards

Praveen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

cherry_tian
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi, Praveen

From the screenshot of SQl Server configuration manager, there are 3 SQl Server instances installed:

ISWPPRD4

ISWPPRD5

SQLR2

If you open the SQL Server Management Studio first time, there will be no SQL Server instance name displayed by default. Please click the black triangle mark and choose <Browser more instance> to select the SQl Server instance ISWPPRD5. The instance ISWPPRD5 will be opened then.

I noticed in the original screenshot you attached, the error shows, you tries to connect an instance named "Test1". And the provider is named pipe provider.

As there is no server called Test1, so you cannot open Test1 instance. This is the first point.

Furthermore, according to the screenshot of network protocols, you disabled named pipes provider.

Please enable the named pipes protocol and shared memory protocol. Different protocls will help with the different scenario to connect SQl Server.

Best regards.

Cherry.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member183044
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Tian,

Thanks for saving my day

Praveen

former_member183044
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Luis,

I created the name as ISWPPRD5. Kindly go through the below screenshots of SQL configuration manager

Kindly note that the IP provided in the highlighted portion id the IP of he server which i am using.

All services are open. but still when i am trying to open the SQL studio the name is not coming as in the below screenshot

Kindly help

Regards

Praveen

luisdarui
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

Do you know what is the instance name you have installed?

Tip:

You can start the SQL Server Browser service, so you can navigate and find out which SQL Server instances are available in this server.

You can also look at SQL Server Configuration Manager to find out which instances are installed, services are running, etc.

Since you are on Windows 2008, open a powershell window and run this script:

Get-ItemProperty ‘HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Instance Names\SQL’ | findstr MSSQLSERVER

This will print out installed instances. If you find out your instance installed there, you can simply try to connect with <HOSTNAME>\<INSTANCENAME> or <HOSTNAME> if this is the default instance.

Best regards,

Luis Darui

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

Can you check if your SQL Server Services are up and running.

Thanks,

Manas

former_member183044
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Manas,

All the services are running.....But still not connecting

Regards

Praveen