cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agentry - Setting External Data property dynamically using Rule without Screenset

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Good day!

Need your support on setting the DocumentLink - ExternalData property dynamically using Rule, in the Transaction property, without using the Screenset.

I am working on Attachment upload functionality, where file path has to be set dynamically from the Rule, without using Screenset.

While applying the transaction, I am getting the below error - as the External Data property is not set properly which i am selecting from the Rule.

The External data property is set using the Initial value Rule as below, instead choosing the file from screenset.

I have also tried below options but nothing worked.

1. Returning the file path directly in the Rule(without using FILE_PATH function)
  2. Using the conversion functions - FROM_PROPERTY, FROM_STRING
  3. Using the property function - FILE_PATH_AND_NAME
  4. Returning the BASE64Encoded file content like

Does anyone has faced similar issues, while trying to set the ExternalData property in background transaction (without using the Screenset)?

Regards

Ela

Further, the initial value rule returns String data type, even though the rule is set for the external data type. The return type of the Rule cannot be modified as well. Is it possible to set a initial value for a Transaction Property of data type "External data" with a file available locally in the device? Message was edited by: Elavarasan Selvam

Message was edited by: Elavarasan Selvam Hi Bill Froelich / Mark Pe, Can you please provide your point of view on this issue? we are trying to set the External Data property of Add Document transaction using Initial Value/Auto Initialize, to attach a document. I have tried using Rule/Using different property etc, but none worked. Our Objective is to add the attachment/document with Transaction screen, just using the file path itself. Please help. PFA the way how external data transaction property was set. Setting External Data property in Transaction.png Setting External Data property in Transaction1.png Kindly let me know, if more information required. Regards Ela

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

mark_pe
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Elavarasan,

Hi.  One of my colleague asked me to chime in. 

Option 1: The External Data Property is a special data type that forces the Agentry client to produce a pop up in the client where the user can specify where the path is located or the file is located.  The user will need to provide where the file is located at typically. 

Option 2: Another option based on the reference: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_smp305sdk/helpdata/en/7c/13cc9970061014b517e014bc3916c6/content.htm?fram...

is to (Snippet from reference):

"The external data property itself will reference the location of the file and can return the file’s full path and name, just the file name, just the file path, just the file extension, as well as metadata about the file such as its last modified date and time and whether or not it has been modified since it was downloaded to the client device. Many of these values are exposed via rules and/or format strings. A separate property of a data type other than external data MUST EXIST and be referenced by the external data property that contains the name the file will be given when saved on the client device. This value must be set during synchronization prior to transferring the file itself."

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

SAP Mobile Support Team

keith_nunn
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, Elavarasan.

The transaction needs a screen set for this. Here's a KBA related to a similar situation. It's not a standalone background transaction for the scenario that led to the KBA but one that was being run during the transmit action. The concept remains the same, however, as both scenarios (yours and the one in the KBA) are trying to run the External Data transaction in the background.

There are likely ways to accomplish your goal using OpenUI but with the standard External Data field and a transaction, you need the screen set.

Thanks,

Keith Nunn
SAP Product Support