cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usability Issue: Event handling Overview

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am now realizing that the event concept of WD is a very powerful tool for developers to make different components interacting with eachother (notice I am talking about the real event that you can define in the component interface controller, not actions!).

But just one drawback: since an event could be handled by a few other components, you have no way to find out quickly which components handle a specific event. Since you can handle an event at a lot of places like component controller, interface controller, view controller, it's really not that easy to have an overview of event handling in your project.

So my question is: will there be some feature in IDE that you can find all handling places of a specific event? That will make the life much easier.

Thanks & Best regards,

Ge

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

since nobody answers this thread, I assume this is of no one's interest... Still think this will be a great feature in IDE. Currently I use my own naming convention on the handler methods, but it's fragile to event name change and typo...

Ge

BeGanz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Ge,

your idea is absolutely useful. Having such a function in the Web Dynpro Tools would definitly simplify managing event sources and event sinks across multiple Web Dynpro controllers and Web Dynpro components.

Unfortunately such a function is not yet implemented in the existing versions of the Web Dynpro Tools part of the SAP NetWeaver Developer Studio. Even the newest version in the new SAP NetWeaver Composition Environment (see the newest sneak preview installation) does not provide such a function.

But another related function is implemented in the NW CE IDE: Viewing <b>Binding Chains</b> from the View Layout to the mapped view controller context (context binding) to the data context in another controller (context mapping). This function is uni-directional starting from the UI to the mapped view context ending at the data context, but not vice versa. This means you cannot visualize the transient hull of all context elements which are mapped to the same data context.

A similar function could be implemented for viewing event-subscription chains, from the event sink to the event source. I will definitely propagate your idea to my Web Dynpro Tool developer colleagues.

Regards, Bertram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bertram,

thanks for the reply. Hope the idea could be supported soon in future releases :-).

I am becoming a big fan of this forum, for one almost always gets good and nice answers here, which makes the life as a developer much easier. Thanks for all who contribute to this forum --- and big thanks to you, Bertram!

Best regards,

Ge

Answers (0)