cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with SQL2k Memory

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a CI with Win2003 Enterprise SP1 and SQL 2000 SP4. The Server has 8gb of RAM, I have conf. the boot.ini with:

- /3gb

- / PAE.

I have the SQL Memory FIXED at 3584 mb ( the parameters Max_men and Min_men are also that value).

The problem is that if i look at the task manager SQL is using 2.7 gb, and the same values is in sap ( st04 ).

I activated AWE in the boot.ini and in SQL. I also fixed the memory to 4 gb. and the system continues using 2.7 gb.

Anyone has a solution for this?

Regards

Claudio.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Claudio,

you have to configure the /PAE option in the boot.ini file. The AWE option must be set in SQL Server (awe enabled). Please use sp_configure to configure that option.

Have a look at note 327494 - that is everything you need!

We have SQL Server 2000 running with 6GB of RAM and it works fine (on 32 Bit!). Use transaction ST04 to find out how much RAM SQL Server is really using. The task manager is not an appropiate tool any more, if you go beyond the mentioned 2.7 GB. Make sure that you read the limitations to this technology in note 327494.

Regards,

Sven

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sven:

ST04 --> Current and Maximum Men = 2.737.312 KB

ST06 --> Physical mem free = 1.933.512 KB

I'm taking a look at the note right now, but for now my configuration seems OK. If i see a dif. i will let you know.

Regards

Claudio.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If Windows 2003 is using 32-bit, you cannot use more than 2.7GB for one process.

so, you won't be able use more.

ReadSAP 88416 - Zero administration memory management as of 4.0A/ Windows, it contains the 2.7Gb explanation.

solution:

if you want more, you will need 64-bit hardware, 64-bit windows and 64-bit software.

Please close this issue if this answers your question.