Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPM item : Auto numbering is failed while creating multiple items

former_member195427
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

We used to create PPM items with auto-numbering generated by system in a sequence of 1-107234, 1-107235... and so on...

Yesterday I tried to create multiple items with create multiple items menu of PPM item and I found that sometimes auto-numbersing fails and the generated number comes as 100000000000000000022016, 100000000000000000032016 and something like that for other items where as others follow the 1-107*** order.

Could you please suggest me what went wrong with that?

Best Regards

Saurabh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

hanspeterbaier
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh,

item numbering is implemented by customer logic in BAdI RPM_OBJECT_SERVICES and Method GET_NEXT_NUMBER_FOR_EXTID (after setting customizing switch).

Perhaps there is an error in your custom logic for numbering. Please have a look with your development team to the custom code implemented with this BAdI.

note for influencing the item numbering http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2179188

br,

Peter

former_member195427
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Peter,

Thanks once again!

I checked the customizing switch as per SAP note mentioned by you and found that settings  "Area: 0002/Name: 0010" (Activate Number Generation for Object ID) first." were not there in place. Is not it weird that without this switch setting custom number generation was working and getting broken 1's in 20 times or more...

or is it that this rare disturbance of auto-numbering is happening because of this switch not activated but the BADI is activated ..

Your thoughts please??

Best Regards

Saurabh

hanspeterbaier
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh,

can you share a screenshot with us? I checked it again on my system and the switch is in place and even activated by SAP standard. I guess it was activated by default with PPM 6.1.

Perhaps there is some erroneous coding with your BAdI-implementation? The BAdI is only processed if the customizing switch is set to 'X' (ON).

Can you check again with your development colleagues? If you create one item after the other there is no error (it works every time) and if you use the 'create multiple items' it doesn't work (or does sometimes) - did I get it right?

br,

Peter

former_member195427
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Peter,

If you create one item after the other there is no error (it works every time) and if you use the 'create multiple items' it doesn't work (or does sometimes) - did I get it right?

You got it right!

I had words with our development team and they want a test data so that it could be analyzed easily but I am unable to replicate it now. I could only see some erroneous data in item table.

Best Regards

Saurabh

hanspeterbaier
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh,

if you only can see erroneous data in item table, perhaps this data entries were created before implementing the BAdI or before fixing some errors in the BAdI implementation. It leads me to this assumption as you can't reproduce this issue now.

The screenshot you shared with us shows the "override" entry in customizing for the global customizing switches. The switch for the auto numbering feature of items is enabled by default. Have a look at this path in SPRO:

SAP PPM >> Portfolio Management >> Global Customizing >> Check Global Settings. Have a look to 0002 (Master Switches) and Default Settings (SAP). For switch 0002/0010 there should be an 'X' (ON).

br,

Peter

former_member195427
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Thank you! I could see that customizing switch there.

But this time it was happened in production portal only when creating multiple items.

I could replicate it in Dev portal but not now ..

Well, I think I have to keep trying to reproduce this issue as it is related to some error in BADI implementation.

Best Regards

Saurabh

former_member195427
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

I was able to replicate it again and I used 'category' field while creating multiple items and it gave me internal number of PPM items. (actually we have not configured this field properly yet)

But , there are some other instances too where 'category' field was not used but internal number was generated by system.

So, I want to ask if I find the issue in debugging with 'category' field used and fix it then will that fix work for the items which were created without 'category' field and generated internal number instead of our customized numbering ?

Best Regards

Saurabh

Answers (0)