Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Unified Rendering in PPM

former_member195427
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

Could you please tell me what unified rendering is all about and how it is related with SAP PPM?

You may please provide me any link or document to read on it.

Thank you very much

Best Regards

Saurabh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

hanspeterbaier
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh,

The Unified Rendering Engine affects PPM in that way, because PPM is an FPM/WD application. The Unified Rendering Engine adresses rendering of the Lightspeed Engine which is used for FPM/WD applications.

There are some central notes where you can get some info:

How to update UR (with video)

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2299529

Overview of released UR notes (NW 7.40)

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2154957

Unified Rendering Notes - Which one to apply - Web Dynpro ABAP - SCN Wiki

Unified Rendering is a central component which is often patched to adress display issues. When patching with UR notes the ABAP stylesheet gets also updated - outdating the portal stylesheet.

br,

Peter

former_member195427
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Peter,

If I understood it correctly then " UR is like a standard that checks a platform (WD/FPM or PPM iviews on portal or another such application) whether it contains any bug/ambiguity that can be fixed by applying a SAP note"

"It's like a tool that checks the 'Degree of correctness' of a platform in question and then provides corresponding solution in forms of SAP notes"

It has a big dependency on SP level of platform in question and it requires system to be updated with latest SP levels.

Please let me know if my understanding is correct here?

Best Regards

Saurabh

hanspeterbaier
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Saurabh,

Unified Rendering is the short term for Unified Rendering Framework (URF). The URF cares for the unified display (called 'rendering') of all web applications (WebDynpro ABAP / JAVA, FPM => as it is an enhanced phase framework for WebDynpro ABAP). The URF holds together all different plattforms, browsers and web applications.

Imagine for example IE by Microsoft or Chrome by Google. They often patch their browsers or their plattform with security fixes (Microsoft) that also influence the display of web content.

As the URF is responsible for the cross-application rendering of web content this framework has to be patched very often to adress these changes by Microsoft, Google, Apple (Safari) or Mozilla (FireFox).

When patching this URF by the so-called Unified Rendering notes, like http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2154957 for Netweaver 7.40 plattforms, there are always to parts of notes:

1) Bug-fixing by code changes (ABAP)

2) an updated MIME-File (zip): primary containing updated themes (CSS-files), JavaScript-Files

It has a dependency on SP level as these notes are included in Netweaver SPs. You can implement the UR-notes manually but this takes a long time (memory dependency, big MIME file-size >60MB). So it is recommended by SAP that you patch to the latest NW SP to bypass the manual implementation of the UR-notes. I choose the manual way as companies do their SP-upgrade perhaps 1-4 times a year.

UR notes are published on a regular base (between 2-4 weeks).

br,

Peter

Answers (0)