Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance Impact : Reporting on BW Query Vs Reporting Generated HANA View

sowdip
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi ,

In an eclipsed based model , I wanted to understand in performance point of view what is the major difference between

- Build a Bex query and import into any front end

- Generate the HANA view and consume this view into any from end.

Please help in understand this.

Thanks,

Prashanth

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lucas_oliveira
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Prashanth,

Consuming BEX Queries will drive you through BW. Thus, authentication and authorization will be held there for most of the infoproviders used.

BEx Queries are generally more flexible than HANA information models. For example BW exits, BADis, replacement path, cells, conditions, BW cache, formula exception aggregation, etc etc are not native to HANA and would require further implementation if you decide to skip BW.

Also, the BW olap engine benefits from the HANA/TREX api for enhanced query performance (see fems processing for example).

On the other hand, generating and consuming BW models as views on HANA allows more freedom in reporting since you don't have to go through all the entire spectrum of BEx Query development. It surely allows quicker approaches to check your data.

Also, if there's a tool that does not interact with BW (for whatever reason) and you can use HANA ODBC/ODBO/JDBC connection on it you can still access BW data (given the proper authentications/authorizations) from outside BW.

I'm sure there are other scenarios for generated views from BW but that's what I can think of for now.

I hope that helps.

BRs,

Lucas de Oliveira

sowdip
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Lucas,

If I understood your response correctly ,  generated HANA views from BW infoproviders have a performance advantage because they are eliminating Analytical engine and BW Application layer.

Also the point you made on front end tools 'not able to connect to BW' makes sense.

I'm aware there will some customer specific factors , but in general scenario any idea in typical BW on HANA (eclipse based) , where would I connect my front end tools , is it BW Infoprovider/queries or HANA Views.

This is what I'm thinking

ECC > PSA > ADSOs (created in studio) > Composite provider > SAP BO

To merge any non SAP data

Non SAP to HANA DB (thru BODS) > Get Generated View from ADSO > Integrate Info Models > SAP BO

Am I right ?

Regards,

Prashanth

lucas_oliveira
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Prashanth,

Having one layer out (BW) of the equation can contribute to performance. However, as explained, BW makes use of an internal HANA API and that adds up to performance. The same will not be possible with HANA directly. But its difficult to point out which is better. I believe that's a case-by-case analysis and each solution has advantages/disadvantages as I mentioned.

There are a few articles around (google around  )  that will probably show what you're looking for.

Regards,

Lucas de Oliveira

sowdip
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Lucas,

Points noted, will try and get more info on this

Rgds,

Prashanth

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

chandan_praharaj
Contributor
0 Kudos

BEx performance check  can be done by RSRT tcode, in debug mode. just click the check box as shown in pic. and execute it. then Go back to see the Stats for each DSOs or BW tables and data fetched etc...

HANA View performance can be checked best by Visualise Plan in SQL Console, just write the SQL to select from that Calc View and right click Visualise plan, then it will open your PlanViz and execute the node.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Chandan