cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual keyboard issue on Windows8 tablet (Open UI development)

0 Kudos

Dear experts,

We have built some Open UI development on top of the standard Work manager 6.2.

Work Manager 6.2

SMP 3.0 sp10 pl07

SDK: SMP3.0 sp11 pl04

Device: Windows 8 tablet Panasonic FZ-G1

For one of these developments, when the user clicks on a button, it opens a new OpenUI screen with a focus on a text field.

If I correctly understand, it is a standard behavior that the virtual keyboard is displayed when focusing on a text field. However, since this field will be populated using a barcode scanner (manual input using the keyboard is still an option but not the preferred one) the business would like to keep the keyboard hidden when focusing on this field. 

In the open UI code, I cannot really see how and where I could achieve this. Please also take into account that I want to keep the focus on this field, since I want that the user can use it without selecting this field first.

Could you please advise on how I should proceed to achieve this?    

Many thanks in advance for your feedback!

Kind regards,

Jean Eudes

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Since this is an Open UI control you should have full control over the behavior.  Based on your description, I would probably not have the focus on the text field and leave the standard behavior in place.  When you scan the value it will populate the field automatically (no focus needed) but if the user has to manually input the value they tap into the field which then brings up the keyboard to enter the value.

--Bill

0 Kudos

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply! You are indeed right, this is purely Open UI relevant.

I tried what you described, however if I don't set the focus on this field, the scanner can indeed be used but will never populate value in this field, that is why I really need to keep the focus on this field.

Cheers,

Jean Eudes

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

It sounds like you are relying on a keyboard wedge scanner.  You might consider seeing if there is a scanner API available to either include in your Open UI code where by you would receive a notification of the scan event and be able to put into the desired field or build an Open Scan interface to it so it will work as a true scanner with Agentry.

--Bill