cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP HANA DB migration from X86 to IBM on power

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear experts

We have a HANA DB on x86 machine without SAP system. We would like to migrate this DB to IBM on Power machine.

Due to different endians the backup - restore procedure is not possible. In SWPM I did not find any option for HANA DB export (all export import procedures require SAP system on top of HANA DB) and in HANA Studio I do not see full DB export option as well.

Thank you for your answers

Regards

Zdeno

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member205280
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Zdeno,

Have you thought about system replication? As the section 7.2.3 in HANA Administration guide didn't say you have to use same OS to perform system replication, I think it's possible to do so but I don't have the environment to test for you!

Regards,

Michael

HansVos
Explorer
0 Kudos

The problem is that SLES 11 SP4 on Power is "Big Endian" and on the Intel platform it is "Little Endian"

I think its possible when SLES 12 is released with SAP HANA. SLES 12 is "Little Endian" so there is no differents in storing binary files.

former_member205280
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hey,

I didn't know that before, and I found the SAP Note 1999880 - FAQ: SAP HANA System Replication

14. Is it supported to set up a replication scenario between systems with different hardware?

Yes, it is possible to set up replication between systems that differ in terms of hardware (e.g. different manufacturer, different memory sizes, different number of CPUs). Of course you need to make sure that the target system is able to handle the load in failover scenarios.

It is also possible to run different hardware configurations between the primary and the secondary side in terms of virtualization configurations. In other words, the secondary side can be a virtual configuration compared to the primary side being physically configured and vice versa.

Be aware that it is not possible to set up system replication between different platforms like Intel vs. Power, because log and backup are not binary compatible.

So I guess no lucky this time.

Regards,

Michael

HansVos
Explorer
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.