cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing existing single source universe to multi source multi-source universe in IDT 4.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to convert a single source universe to multi-source universe. I have created a new multi-source DF on top of a multi-source connection. Now instead of creating a new BL on top of the multi-source DF, I want to re-map the  existing single source BL to the new multi-source DF. But this way all the objects are coming blank and I have to write the SQL for each and every objects and conditions again, which is as good as creating a new BL. Can anyone suggest me a better work around other than creating a new BL or is there anything which I am missing.

Tool Summary:

SAP BI 4.1 IDT

Oracle 11g

Thanks,

Mahmood

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

have you tried with "change Data Foundation" option in business layer.Business layer->Properties->Change Data Foundation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

Yes, I have tried the same option but it erased the underline SQL of each objects.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mahmood,

Conversion of universes from single to multi-source is not possible by design due to the difference in how each universe connection is handled by SAP BI servers.

I hope this helps

Adil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Adil,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you please share some documents supporting your statement or elaborate it ?

I hope you understand what I am exactly trying to achieve. There is a existing single source universe. Now I want to create a multi-source universe of exactly same sets of objects. So rather than creating a new universe from scratch(new DF, New BL), I am trying to reuse the BL of the old single source universe. Summary of the steps followed are:

1.Create a new Local Project.

2.Create a new relational connection and export it to the repository.

3.Create a new multi-source DF with same sets of table, joins and derived tables as the single source universe. Do check integrity of DF for any errors or warnings.

4.Open the old single source BL.

5.Go to actions and select 'Change Data Foundation', select the new multi-source DF.

6.This way we have the old BL mapped on the new multi-source DF.

Our objective is to save our efforts of again creating 500+ objects and conditions for our new BL. But the problem is after changing the DF of the old BL, the underlying SQL for objects/filters go blank. We have to again mapped the SQL one by one which is as good as creating a new BL.

I hope it gives a clear picture of what I am trying to achieve.

Please let me know if you have any queries or suggestions.

Thanks,

Mahmood

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mahmood,

I understand your frustration. changing a single DF of BL to a Multisource one does not work. However, if you carry out the same workflow but this time change a single DF of BL to another single one and it will work. check SAP note 1898279 for more info.

Please let me know if you find a workaround

I hope this helps

Adil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mahmood, Did I answer your question or Amit? Thanks Adil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Adil,

Thanks for your reply.

Right now I am in the process of creating a new BL, but still I want to research more on this. I am unable to find KBA #1898279 in SAP SCN. Maybe we require special account for viewing the KBA's. If you have the rights, can you please share the document with me?

Thanks in advance.

Mahmood

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mahmood, I don't think I am allowed to publish KBA information on SCN. You can access it if you have support. http://service.sap.com and click on the SAP Support Portal link. PS: I tested your workflow and I can confirm that it does not work. Best Regards, Adil