cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle upgrade from 11.2.0.2 to 12.1c for ERP6.0 upgrade to EHP6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are planning to upgrade our SAP ERP6.0 environment to SAP EHP6. In order to do that we need to upgrade oracle from 11.2.0.2. I wanted to know what are the limitations if we upgrade oracle to 12.1c? Read note 2133079 and it talks about shadow instance issue if we use 12.1c. Somehow the note is not very clear. Can someone help. We are on AIX 7.1. Kernel has been upgraded to 7.21_EXT and oracle client has been updated to 11.2.0.4.

Regards,

SJ

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It looks like you'll be required to upgrade to ERP 6.0 EHP7.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Oracle Database 12c Release 1 (12.1) is only released and certified for SAP products running with SAP BASIS 7.00 and above, and SAP kernel release 7.21 EXT and above.

For more infomation read the upgrade guide.

https://websmp209.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/012002523100005235232015E/Ora_DB_Upgr_UX_121__01.pdf

Also, as per PAM EHP6 is compatible with Oracle 12

Regards,

Prithviraj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are on SAP BASIS 7.00 and KErnel 7.21_EXT. I read in the note that there are some issues with shadow instance with oracle 12.1. Wanted to know before we upgrade oracle to 12.1. Do we also need to user oracle user or we can continue using ora<sid>.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think the real question that needs answering is not whether ERP 6.0 EHP6 can can run on Oracle 12.1. The question is whether you can perform an upgrade from a prior release to EHP6 while already running on Oracle 12.1? based on what I read in the aforementioned note, you will not be able to depend on using a shadow system during the upgrade if your target release is not EHP7.

At least that is my interpretation. Whether you can upgrade to EHP6 using 11.2.0.2 (or 11.2.0.4) I do not know because I did not research that. But based on that note, it would be my understanding that I would have to upgrade to EHP6 before upgrading to Oracle 12.1. That is unless you want to perform the upgrade without a shadow system, and that entails longer downtime and potential performance issues.

My $0.02 worth.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Stephan. Yes, I wanted to know if we can upgrade to EHP6 if our DB is oracle 12.1. To me, it looked liked we cannot upgrade to EHP6 if we have oracle 12.1 but it wasn't very clear.

Thank you!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi S J

The answer to your question is Yes.

As per PAM EHP6 is compatible with Oracle 12.1

Regards,

Prithviraj.