Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approval required- Document posted in SDN to upload Org intranet

former_member198473
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Team,

I have created a document in SDN and the same can be viewed in this URL- http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-72541 .

I would like to upload the same document in my organizations intranet for the benefit of the users in the company I work for. Now the organization has asked for an approval from SDN so that the document can be uploaded in the intranet.

Request you to pls approve or share pointers as to the process for getting the same approved.

Sincere thanks.

Regards,

Shine Sebastian Joseph

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Why do you need approval from SDN SCN (already since 2012) to load your own document into you companies intranet?

This sounds very strange. If it was not your document then I had said you need to reach out to the author.

former_member198473
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jurgen,

I agree with you . But the company policy is that if we upload a doc in an external site, then we must get the approval from the site which in this case in SAP Moderators before uploading into the company intranet.

Sounds strange but that's the way it is..

This is the first time I uploaded a doc in SCN and hence not sure who to reach out to get the necessary approval..

Pls help.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

2 years ago we had a similar question, you may want to try the recommendation that was posted then:

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I know some sites will retain a copyright, or an exclusive usage right, to any material that is posted to them. This is probably especially true with online trade journals and such. It's much like an author whose book is traditionally published -- the author can't just go off and send the manuscript to a second publisher without first getting a release from the original publisher. So, I can understand your employer's policy about making sure anything previously published is "rights-free" from the original publication site.

I can't be 100% certain, but I don't think SCN operates this way. Specifically, in the Rules of Engagement, in the section about Copyright (), it states in the second scenario (of infringement) that if someone copies a member's content from SCN and posts it as their own content outside of SCN, SAP is not authorized to take any action on behalf of anyone who isn't an SAP employee. Only the copyright owner of the material can take action when someone has copied material without permission.

This paragraph definitely implies that if you are the original author of the content on SCN, then you are the copyright owner of that content, in which case you can certainly give yourself permission to copy it elsewhere.

To take this further, the actual Terms of Service for SCN (http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/policy) spell it out in legal detail. Paragraph 10, "Intellectual Property Rights," says that you retain ownership of all IP rights in and to the content provided by you on SCN to the extent you are the owner or holder of the IP rights. Nothing in the agreement prohibits you from selling or licensing your content to any other party under a separate agreement.

I think that paragraph makes it quite clear, and you can use it with your employer as proof of the required permission to reproduce your own content anywhere you like.

If you still want to take it further and contact someone, the contact information for SAP's Senior IP Counsel is at Copyright.

Cheers,

Matt

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Shine

That's great your company is taking copyright seriously

Is there any reason you can't have a External Links page of recommended material and link your audience out to the SCN article? If it's ever updated or comments added then your colleagues will benefit?

Posting a link out to the site would unlikely require such approval.

Regardless, I see it's a case as the Author needs to give approval for reproducing the content. Perhaps CC them in this thread so see if you can get approval

An SCN Moderator would not have the authority - we enforce community rules and content standard only. I doubt also that SAP will ever provide actual approval as this would involve legal and may discourage members from publishing content on the SCN platform.

Regards

Colleen

former_member198473
Participant
0 Kudos

Sincere thanks for your detailed responses..

Within the existing company system, there are no place holders to put external links and the only option would be to put the document itself else it would have been a good option I must say

As per the suggestion of Jurgen, I have put a mail to SCN content team seeking approval from official email ID.

Shall update this thread once I get a response..

Wish you all a nice day.

Regards,

Shine

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I thought in this case that Shine is himself the author, so there isn't anyone else's approval he needs to seek -- just his own!

former_member198473
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you Matt for your response/ support  and agree with you. But company is quiet adamant that I get the approval from SCN else I would not be able to upload it in the org intranet.

The lesson I learnt is that next time around, I should be uploading the doc in the company intranet and then uploading it into SCN as the latter is more flexible and has user friendly policies .

Have not received any response yet from SCN Content team and shall update the thread once received.

Advance happy weekend

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello ,

Please eMail support wit this request, which would be best handled via eMail anyhow so that the correct channels provide a response.  Feel free to mention my name.

sapnetwork@sap.com

Best,

Jason

former_member198473
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jason,

That is very kind of you. Shall do the same as I am yet to get a response from the SCN Content team.

Regards,

Shine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shine Sebastian Joseph,

I have also uploaded my First document in SCN and waiting for the Approval.Can you please let me know the email ID of the concerned team to whom you followed up for getting the necessary approval.

Thanks.

former_member198473
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Romi,

I am waiting for approval from SCN to upload docs in my company website since I have already uploaded the same in SCN. SCN moderators would approve your document in a day or two max and it would get uploaded into SCN

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member198473
Participant
0 Kudos

I have received the approval mail from the team and in turn forwarded it to the company who has now moved the document to the next stage of processing before uploading.

Also loop this email ID to scnmoderators@sap.com

Thanks Jason for all your help.

Regards,

Shine