Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help with MSSQL Server 2014 installation

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

I will soon be performing a heterogeneous system copy with the MS platform as a target system.

The DB has to be MSSQL Server 2014. I am getting very frustrated on how to get the installation

media, as I only see the SQL4SAP media in the download area on the marketplace.

This will only be an evaluation system, so I was looking for a download location of an evaluation

version of SQL Server 2014 Enterprise edition on Microsoft's website.

I found this:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-sql-server-2014

but it nowhere says what edition it is, I doubt, that it is the Enterprise edition...

Additionally, I would be thankful, if you advise, whether to install it directly, or to use the SQL4SAP

media from the marketplace ?

I briefly went through the installation guide, but unfortunately, it is very scarce on really practical

advice.

Many thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Symon

The installation guide does provide all the needed information to perform a manual installation

=> Upgrade to and Installation of SQL Server 2014 in an SAP Environment

The media should be available in SWDC if your company does purchase the SQL license through SAP

1970448 - SAP Installation Media and SQL4SAP for SQL Server 2014

Before SQL Server 2014, SAP has always prepared and provided a single SQL Server RDBMS medium to all customers regardless of whether they bought the SQL Server license from SAP or from another vendor. As of SQL Server 2014, there are two SQL Server RDBMS media available for SAP customers. Besides these two media delivered by SAP, an SQL Server installation medium is also available. This is officially delivered by Microsoft or authorized dealers

Best regards

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Yves,

many thanks for your answer, but unfortunately, it is not helpful.

You are just repeating everything, that I already know, but not giving the answers,

which I am expecting from somebody, who already went through this.

1) The company did not YET purchase a MSSQL server license. The goal is to

copy a system using an EVALUATION version of MSSQL, compare the performance

and AFTERWARD decide, if to buy a license or not.

2) What is the experience of consultants, who have already installed MSSQL 2014

for their Customers - go through the manual install, as if no SAP will be running on

the DB, or install it with the SQL4SAP framework ?

3) WHAT edition is the evaluation version, which can be downloaded here ????

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-sql-server-2014

Is this MSSQL Server version capable to bear the installation of NetWeaver 7.4 ??

Thanks to anyone, who already went through this and will share his experience here.

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Symon

1) What are you source DB, DB size and number of concurrent users ?

2) I'm used to install MsSql using the installer based on the information from the SAP Guide. You can get some extra options (installation directories for instance)  that are not available when installing with the SAP script.

3) The proof is in the eating, download the evaluation version and you will see which edition it is !

SAP requires the Enterprise edition. I've never try to see if the installer accept an other version, but for performance testing you should test with the appropriate version.

Best regards

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

1) Oracle 11, about 2 TB, about 500 - last time I checked.

2) You've got a point here, till now I have only been using SQL4SAP, hence I wanted to ask what the best practices are.

3) That's the main problem - I downloaded it long time ago and I even installed it in a test VM - it nowhere says Enterprise edition or any edition at all...