cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP GUI for Windows 730 - What info is exchanged during logon?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi community

First of all, I apologize if this is not the right place to post this question, but I was pointed here as the right place.

In my case, I'm a network engineer, so excuse my lack of knowledge about anything related to SAP, but the thing is that I'm trying to help to solve an issue with a user that, in a specific situation, is having problems to logon using SAP GUI 730 for Windows.

The situation is as follows:

When the user is connected to an IPv4 only network with the main NIC, everything works fine.

When the same user connects a second laptop's NIC to a dual stack IPv4/IPv6 network, two things happen:

1.- Without doing anything, the user cannot login, getting the error described in the original post (see attached screenshot)

2.- If the user disables the IPv6 stack in the laptop's second NIC (see attached screenshot), is able to logon again without any issues

In all cases, the communication with the SAP server is using the Laptops's main NIC (that is IPv4 only)

My questions are... during the SAP logon process:

.- Is there exchanged information about the device NICs (IP address, DNS, etc..) of the end user's device?

.- If so, what data is captured and from what device's NIC (if has mode than one active at the same time)?

in a nutshell... I just want to figure out if the fact that one of the NICs is connected to an IPv6 network and gets an IPv6 address, is causing that during the logon process, by chance the application has captured info out from that NIC... resulting in an error during logon, triggered because the communication with the server is expected to be IPv4 only, but the server is dropping the request because either does not understand the received info or is not configured to accept it.

I appreciate if anyone can shed any light on this.

Many thanks!!

Ruben

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Ruben,

For a start, SAPgui 7.30 is no longer supported, so please migrate to 7.40 as soon as possible for continued SAPgui support.

Regarding IVP6, refer to note

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1346768  - Activation of IP Version 6 (IPv6) in Application Server ABAP

Regards,

Jude

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Jude for your reply

Unfortunately I don't have access to the URL, I will ask to some SAP colleague to log in and forward me the content, just for curiosity

Nevertheless, as I described, the communication between the user and the server is IPv4 all the time... the issue appears when the user is connected also to an IPv6 network... not meaning that the device uses such network to talk to the server... is just that it is connected to it (resulting on the user's device to lease an IPv6 address in the 2nd NIC).

If the user just disables IPv6 stack in that NIC, is able to logon again.

So do you know if, the GUI app sends only user/pwd info? or something else?

thanks!!