cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between ABC::CalcView and _SYS_BIC.ABC/CalcView

Former Member
0 Kudos

Built a graphical CalcView in studio, activated it. (ABC is my package name)

Then went to the reporting tools (ex: Tableau) and tried to connect to the above mentioned CalcView.

Picked schema _SYS_BIC and then searched for the CalcView that I activated.

Saw two results:

1)_SYS_BIC.ABC/CalcView

2) ABC::CalcView

I know we should pick the 1st one (the one with _SYS_BIC) as all the activated column views (in fact all activated objects) reside here in _SYS_BIC schema.

but what I am curious about is the second result ..the one with :: in it (double colons)

What is it? Where is this coming from? Is this the design version of the view?

Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

pfefferf
Active Contributor

Hello Srinivas,

"ABC:CalcView" is the public synonym generated for your calculation view defined in the repository. It points to the catalog object ("_SYS_BIC"."ABC/CalcView").

You can check it in the Catalog View on DB level. Search for the public synonym in the "Public Synonyms" folder and open the synonym. The properties show you the target.

Regards,

Florian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Florian Pfeffer as always very helpful!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member182302
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Adding to the points from Florian, It would be better if you go ahead and use ABC::CalcView

Regards,

Krishna Tangudu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your response. After reading Florian's and your response , I went and did some reading, watched couple of videos on synonym topic and feeling lot better now. Thanks to both of you.

Follow up question - performance perspective -- is there any performance advantage between ABC::CalcView  vs _SYS_BIC.ABC/CalcView?

former_member182302
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There shouldn't be any. It is just a synonym just gives you a alias name .

Regards,

Krishna Tangudu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Krishna Tangudu as always very helpful!