cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practice for SCEM Build/Support Team

myra_gill
Explorer
0 Kudos

My company has been using SAP SCEM for several years.  I am interested in understanding how other companies structure their SCEM build/support team for success.

Our current team consists of two people that can do the configuration and the ABAP portion.

Considering other options:  Transferring all of the ABAP to a development team where that is all they do.  The team would not be enable to do the configuration portion.

What has your company done?  Is it working well?  Reasoning behind organization of the team.

Your willingness to share would be appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Myra,

It is purely how big is your deployment or client using SAP EM.

Client to client it differs.  If it is small implementation and well steady environment then ABAP developer itself would do configuration and development and there is no need of separate SAP EM functional consultant.  If It is a medium size client and again and well steady environment and changing business process constantly then it requires one SAP EM Functional and SAP EM ABAP developer.  Recently, clients are planning to go for DEVOPS model to bring one functional, one technical and one tester due to faster changing environment.

My current client holds few SAP EM functional consultants in onsite and ABAP development done in offshore.  It works well and client environment constantly changing and we have monthly releases for small and bigger projects.

Let me know if you need further information.

REgards

GGOPII

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

kevin_wilson2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Myra,

As a company, Reveal provides SAP EM outsourcing services, to a few clients. This implies that we we do it all for them. This model is typically adopted by small companies that do not have the capacity or budget to maintain a FTE knowledgeable enough to support EM.

For the larger companies that do wish to support the solution themselves it also comes in 2 flavors.

Small to medium size companies tend to go for a similar approach to what you have in place where a couple folks have all the skills to do the support, being ABAP and Config.

On the other hand, the larger companies usually segregate config and ABAP regardless of EM. I.e. EM folks do the folks and the functional specs for the developer and then help them through understanding EM as they go. It's the main reason we broke up our SAP EM academy into separate functional and developer training. "Different strokes for different folks". The latter path can definitely work but you need to have solid Config folks with ABAP experience creating the specs for the ABAPers otherwise it will not work. Also, make sure to include step-by-step testing instructions in the specs because until they become familiar with EM unit testing will be almost impossible for the ABAP team.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Myra,

As you said "Our current team consists of two people that can do the configuration and the ABAP portion.", I like it that way. It works best rather than one functional who cannot code and one ABAP who who has no knowledge or feel for EM.

If it's working for several years, then your team must be doing good.

Since EM is very techno-functional, preference should be to have one person who can do both( not pretending to have both:)) even though that person might get development access.

This is based on my experiences on various projects.

Thanks,

Vishnu