cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cons buildspace not building in CBS

Former Member
0 Kudos

We've run into a snag in our JDI build process. Somehow, even though all of our DCs build fine in the dev buildspace, they fail in the cons buildspace. We know the exact locations of the build failures and the specific files look OK. It isn't related to external dependencies. So, something is off in the source code.

Has anyone else encoutered a problem like that? Would synching the two DTR branches up so they are consistent help (cons and dev)? How would I do that?

Thanks.

Rob

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rob,

Can you check the following:

1. For unreleased activities: Through the IDE, can you please make sure that there are no unreleased activities in DEV. If so, please do release and import them into CONS buildspace.

2. For pending activities: Through the CBS Web UI, can you check whether there are any pending activities (that are yet to be activated) in the CONS buildspace. If so, please do activate all of them.

3. Archives: Can you check whether you have imported the same archives in DEV and CONS buildspaces and whether there are any more archives pending to be imported into CONS (please compare the number of DCs in the archive compartments in the DEV and CONS buildspaces).

If these don't help, can you let me know the release of NWDI (DTR/CBS/CMS) that you are using.

Best regards

Rathish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rathish,

Thanks for your response. We are using NWDI SP11 for all components. I looked at the areas you suggested:

1. I don't see any unreleased activities in DEV. There is nothing waiting in the consolidation stream in CMS. I'll have to recheck with the whole team to make sure nothing is missing, but I think we are OK on the basic release process.

2. I didn't find any activities in the CONS buildspace (pending, active or otherwise). I did find a couple of pending activities in the DEV buildspace with cryptic names so I activated them and rebuilt the DEV workspace without problem. I attempted to rebuild the CONS workspace but it fails with the same errors.

3. There are 153 DCs in CONS and 154 in DEV. I think the sap.com archives are OK. We did (try to?) delete a child DC from a project early on in the process and it is not used or referenced by anything else. Could that be causing the problem? How can I fix that? Is there anyway to remove a DC from a track or force CONS to sync with DEV?

Thanks.

-r

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rob,

Since you are using SP11, you can use the following utility in DTR to compare workspaces in DEV and CONS. Please log into DTR and from the base url (http://<serverName>:<port>/dtr), Please follow the path System-tools > Reports > Workspace Comparison. You can use this page to compare any 2 workspaces. So, to find

1. Unreleased activities:

The left workspace would be DEV/active and the right workspace would be CONS/inactive. You can check for integrations to know the activities that have not been integrated into cons (and if there are any, you can release and import them).

2. Pending activities:

The left workspace would be cons/inactive and the right workspace would be CONS/active. You can check for integrations to know the activities and activate if there are any.

As a sanity check, you can check all files between dev/active and cons/active to make sure they are identical.

As for the child DC, if it is not used by anyone else, I don't see how it would cause a problem. However, you might want to delete the child DC locally to see whether it results in any of the DCs being broken.

If all this doesn't work - you might want to work with the finer details. Please look at the build log of the broken DC to see what the compile time errors are and that will give you an idea of which DC the problem is due to.

Do get back to me in case of any clarifications.

Regards

Rathish

Former Member
0 Kudos

I used the workspace comparison on DEV and CONS and there were some differences. So, I went to the DTR command line and used the MKPL command to make a propagation list from the DEV/active and then merged it into CONS/active with the INTEGRATE command.

I'm not sure if that is the correct thing to do, but it did fix the build problem and CBS will build all of the DCs successfully now.

Anyway, now we have a runtime problem in the portal with the security library, but that is different topic so I'll post it on a different forum.

Thanks again for your help.

Rob

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have a similar problem.

While in DEV e.th. works fine and is built without problems, in CONS build of the central component doesn't work (result code 108).

( FAILURE: The creation of archives for this component FAILED. See build log for details. [result code: 108])

We already compared the workspaces and didn't find any differences. Also there are no open activities and imports.

We work on SP11.

Thanks,

Matthias

Former Member
0 Kudos

We really believe we have a CBS problem because the same project built in NWDS and deployed with an EAR file to the same server works as expected. So, if push comes to shove, we will abandon CBS.

We did a binary diff on the .class files that are deployed by CMS and those in the EAR and there are differences between some of the files (those that we have changed since the last successful CMS build).

Is there anyway to force CBS to simply rebuild everything? It is not picking up the changes in the .java files (probably, it is because of the way I integrated a propagation list into the CONS buildspace).

Failing that, how can I create a new CMS track for the project and pull in the existing WDP and dictionary projects? Since we just started a week ago, that isn't a big deal.

Thanks.

-r

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mathias,

The problem of archive creation usually happens due to the following reason.

1. Lack of file system of resources : This doesn't sound likely because I am assuming both your DEV and CONS buildspaces are on the same server (Correct me if otherwise. And if so, please check if there's enough space in the file system)

2. Difference in build plugins : You will have to check whether you have imported the same build plugins both in DEV and CONS buildspaces.

The best place to start the investigation would be to view the build log and see what's the error given there. If there's an exception or any non-compilation error message, do post it so that we can investigate the same.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rob,

As you mentioned, the problem is due to the integration you performed. As a rule of thumb, Never integrate anything directly into the active workspace. The sources in the active workspace should always correspond to the buildstate that you have in CBS. And you make sure that it happens by making all the changes in the inactive workspace and activating those changes, whereby CBS takes the responsibility of building/storing the latest archives, and integrating your changes into the active workspace. When you integrate something directly into the active workspace, CBS is never notified and hence the archives are not consistent with the sources in DTR.

What I suggest is for you to integrate the same propagation list from DEV/active into CONS/inactive. Once you do that, please initialize all the source compartments through CBS Web UI. This will make rebuild all the DCs and make the archives consistent with the source state in CONS Active.

Regards

Rathish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rathish,

I tried what you are suggesting yesterday - integrating the propagation list into the inactive workspace (which makes more sense when I think about it) and initializing the compartement. The old build was still stuck in the track(at least, it was giving us the same error which indicated tha a certain constructor was missing). Is there a way to flush the entire build in CBS?

Since we are only a week in, we dropped that track and are going to try with a fresh one (being more careful that all activities get integrated as soon as they are ready). We learned on our first attempt, so I hope we don't make the same mistakes twice.

I would have rather not made any mistakes the first time, but the documentation on the use of CMS/CBS/DTR is extremely poor in the area of operations and troubleshooting. However, the support on this forum has been good - thanks again, Rathish.

Rob

former_member182161
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi NWDI gurus,

we are getting problem while creating activities. I see the following message in DTR Console... Anyhelp??

<b>15:04:24.864 FAILED: Creating activity failed:

act_w_ESSTrack_sap_2e_com_SAP_ESS_dev_inactive_u_cmsadm_t_2006_03_27_20_04_24_GMT_4c70cf2f-7641-4838-96f7-8bf58a5b6450

- Internal Server Error</b>

Thanks

Santhosh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do not ask new questions in old topics. Instead create a new topic.

former_member182161
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Pascal,

I was just hoping that this will get more attention. I created a new topic now. It is here

Thanks

Santhosh