cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canonical data model for EDI messages

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We are working on a PO 7.5 implementation, wherein multiple data in EDI formats would be coming in from multiple vendors. e.g. Orders data would be coming in EDI ANSI 850 different versions from multiple partners. Interfaces needs to be developed in PI to map the incoming EDI data to ORDERS05 Idoc and post the data to ECC.

What we are looking for here is if canonical data model can be used in above scenario, to reduce the development efforts in future when one more partner would be added sending the orders data in say a different version of ANSI 850 format.

If yes, please suggest pointers about how it should be done and what should be the common message format.

Thanks and regards,

Ruchi Agarwal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ruchi,

Every EDI Format would imply a corresponding XSD generation and structure creation in PI.

Canonical Models would have made sense if your EDI 850 message is going to be consumed by different down stream applications but as you have mentioned in your case it is just to be integrated with ECC. In that case in my opinion your Orders05 Idoc is a canonical model in itself.

What I would do is build a template mapping with EDI 850 4010 to ORDERS05 and then leverage this mapping for other EDI 850 standards and so on.

If you are still keen on using a Canonical Model, you can explore the Global Data Types SAP provides and look up the Order creation data type but this would be a overkill in my opinion.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhavesh,

Thanks for your valuable inputs. I will look into the possibility through Global Data Types and see how we can utilize those.

Moreover I read somewhere, that there are external vendors taking care of conversion of EDIs to canonical model and they send the data to PI. Any pointers how do they do it? And as the EDI structures are complex one, shall we infer that canonical model approach in PI is more suitable while dealing with xml and flat files.

Actually the team we are working with are more inclined towards the canonical data model utilization. That’s why looking for all possibilities around.

Thanks and regards,

Ruchi Agarwal

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ruchi,

Such external vendors would have a custom canonical model or even a global standard like the SAP Global Datatypes, cXML etc.

If PI is the integrating platform and if the recipient of the message is only SAP, I would follow the KISS principle and keep it simple by converting the EDI XML to IDoc and vice versa. Having a canonical model in a point to point integration will add no immediate benefit. of course if tomorrow, another subsriber needs this EDI message, it would have been prudent to have a canonical model.

if your EDI message is going to be consumed by multiple platforms other than SAP, a intermediate Canonical model makes sense.

Like every other architectural topic every pattern has its pros and cons and it has to be a balance between the best way forward vs cost/time vs simplicity.

There are multiple factors to this and no yes / no answer.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhavesh,

Appreciate your inputs in same line with what I was looking for. I will put forward the approach as you suggested and get back.

Thanks and regards,

Ruchi Agarwal

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Harish
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ruchi,

AFAIK - EDI does not have canonical data model. The structure is complex and it is hard to build canonical data model out of that. But if you observe the different version structure of same EDI type e.g. 850 2010, 3010 or 4010. The higher version is most of the time compatible with the lower version.

So if you create the mapping with 4010 you can still derive some rule for lower version.

regards,

Harish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harish,

Thank you for the quick inputs.

Let me quickly check the different EDI version for one particular EDI and see that possibility.

Thanks and regards,

Ruchi Agarwal