SAP for Utilities Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users to share best practices, troubleshoot challenges, and collaborate on building a sustainable energy future. Join the discussion.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer Posting across divisions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Please let me know how do you handle tranfer posting across divisions, as FP40 doesn't support transfer across divisions.

Thank you

Sruthi

8 REPLIES 8

AmlanBanerjee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sruthi,

There is a standard check in event 5095, as a result of which SAP doesn't allow transfer posting across divisions.

Check SAP Note,616098, Point 7, for more information on the same.

Alternatively, you can use FPE1 to perform the transfer posting activity-Posting an Offset entry in the Source account and the Corresponding reverse entry in the Target account.

Thanks,

Amlan

0 Kudos

Hi Amalan,

Thank you for your response.

We are actually using FPE1 to do that. But the problem is we have to do that one after one, even for the items belonging to same division.

If we try to transfer more than one open items of same division we are getting this error “Balance is not Zero, Cannot make posting(XXXX(Functional area), XXX_XX(Commitment item), XXXXXXXX(GL), XXXXXX(FUND),XXXX(FunctionalArea),XXXX_XXX(Grant)” even though credit and debit items are same on FPE1 screen.

Please let me know if I need to provide more details.

Regards

Sruthi

0 Kudos

Hi Amlan, Sruthi,

Definitely FP40 is not an option to transfer posting across multiple divisions and account determination ID.

In my experience of utlitiy industry we have been using FPE1 to tackle this scenario.

There is a concept in public sector that we use vastly in this regard called - Revenue Distribution.

Of cource, purpose of revenue distrbution is to handle payments for 3rd party within FICA where a 3rd party's receivables are transferred to customer's account for recovery (AR). On the otherhand, if part of customer's entitlement is set up to pay their rent and electricity bill, this option straghtaway facilitates the payable amount to be transferred to 3rd parties account for payment (AP).

And that's why this option is not restricted in same division/account determination ID. It comes under CA AR/AP -> Business Transaction -> Reveue Distribution.

Can this option be considered here?

Regards

Bodhisattwa

0 Kudos

Hi Bodhisattwa,

Thank you for your response.

I havn't worked on Revenue Distribution before. Can you please provide more information with configuration steps and examples?

As part of our business process, we use to tranfer many line items across the division using FPE1 which is taking lot of time.

Regards

Sruthi

0 Kudos

Hi Bodhisattwa,

Revenue Distribution (RD) is widely used in Ultility industry as well.

However, the basic difference b/w RD and Transfer posting, is that during Transfer posting, there is no GL entry which happens, where as in RD as you have correctly mentioned is to handle payments for 3rd party within FICA where a 3rd party's receivables are transferred to customer's account for recovery (AR).

So in RD there are GL postings which are happening from the Utiliity Company's books to the 3rd party.

The underlying problem, in here, is not with transfer posting, but as Funds mgmt is activated, there are few restrIctions, which comes into play, leading to the issue.

Hope it clarifies.

Thanks,

Amlan

0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply Amlan.

True that transfer posting is not supposed to impact GL accounting wihch is clealy mentioned in the SAP KBA/note.

That's why it is not allowed across multiple division/account determination ID.

However given the fact that using FPE1 in turn posts in to GL accounts, is it worth exploring RD in this scenario?

Regards

Bodhisattwa

0 Kudos

Hi Bodhisattwa,

I don't think RD should be used to address transfer posting issues.

Both these processes are quite different to each other; and designed for meeting separate business requirements and should not be mixed into one.

Techincally,also there will be challenges-

Lets say,hypothetically, we use RD for transfer posting.

As per the Standard functionality, you need to configure the Final recipient in posting area 1380.

Having said that are you planning to configure the target contract account in this posting area, everytime you do trigger a transfer posting through RD..

Hope it clarifies.

Thanks,

Amlan

0 Kudos

Fully agreed with all the limitations you mentioned Amlan.

So, the best way to deal with inter division and account determination transfer is to leverage FPE1 posing mechanism (offsetting entry at source and new item at destination).

Regards

Bodhisattwa