cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UserID creation in PO - BPM Server or in Gateway ABAP Server?

vikrant_dev1
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have a situation with one of the SAP landscapes. The Client has Business Suite (SAP ECC, SRM, CRM), SAP PO and SAP Gateway HUB systems. Several UI Apps (some custom for SAP ECC, SRM and CRM and many from standard Fiori Library) are deployed on the Gateway HUB.

We would like to create a new UI for BPM process and also for several reports and forms related to the BPM process. The enduser set may be heavy and mainly external users.

I have the below 2 main questions for the above scenario:

1) Which system the new UI for BPM process be deployed on: SAP PO or the Gateway HUB (where all other Business Suite UIs are deployed and may be a generic UI access point).

2) I understand that SAP licensing for Business Suite systems is license based - so if we go with the deployment on SAP Gateway and as there are several external users accessing this new UI Application wouldn't that be huge licence fee for us. Can we create the users in SAP PO systems then. If yes, will it be a problem performing user authentication while accessing the Apps (considering the UI and PO screen access timeouts may be different).

I assume that SAP PO does not have any limit to user creations against the license fee.

Can someone please suggest what could be the best approach here.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ch_loos
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

1) Both options would work.

If you deploy everything on the GW Hub / Frontend Server then you can use intent-based navigation for a fully integrated Fiori User Experience. This also makes sense if you have other custom UIs outside of PO.
UI Deployment on PO is more straightforward, but integration into the Fiori Launchpad would only be remote (via URL). This will have some drawbacks like different UI5 versions, different user language settings etc.

My recommendation would be to start with deployment on PO, and if needed migrate to the ABAP Frontend server later.

2) SAP Process Orchestration license is based on cores, not users.

Any user accessing the Business Suite system must have an appropriate application license, independent whether the access is done through Fiori/Gateway or through PO.

vikrant_dev1
Participant
0 Kudos

Many Thanks Christian for your reply.

We are also recommending PO in this case.

As another alternate approach, and considering the license fees for the heavy external user base creation for Business Suite systems, how suitable is LDAP or AD as the authentication mechanism and going with deployment on Gateway HUB itself.

For us, the main decision options here are authentication via PO-UME or on Gateway system (SU01 etc) or User authentication via external authentication servers (like LDAP etc) for the 1000s of external users accessing the app.

Thanks,

Vikrant

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

vikrant_dev1
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Can anyone from PO community please respond to my query? My basic dilemma is that should one deploy a UI application on PO Server if he/she has the option of deployment on Gateway HUB or even ABAP Gateway.

Detailed questions in available above.

Thanks,

Vikrant