cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IBP 6.1 Master Data with External Systems

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I am working in a new project to use IBP 6.1 and we are starting with the design of the Data Model.

According to the requirements, there are some Master Data that will receive data from another/external system. They want to define in the final version as "External MDT" because they receive directly data from that external source. But in the first steps of the project, to reduce complexity, they accept extract data to an excel file from that system and import in IBP. In this case you can define these Master Data as "Simple MDT", right?

But then, in the final deployment, they want this MD as "External". According with out colleagues, once you define the Master Data as "Simple", you cannot change in the future to "External", is that correct?

Could you explain what is the best solution for this case?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

David.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Irmi_Kuntze
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Dear David

I am a bit confused by your wording.

You say you consuider to first laod via Excel to reduce complexity and change later

That has nothing to do with "external MD types".

"External" refers to the operation data model such as Response, for which you would load data from ECC via Near Realtime-INterface in the future once that exist, or via API

It does not refer to periodical data transfer via HCI / SDI for strartegical planning processes such as SOP or Demand

(I know, technically that is not correct what I am saying now, but you can imagine it a bit like the difference between APO-DP and SNP: In DP you load via Infocubes from any kind of source, and you can flexible define any kind of master data and key figure. For SNP you load via CIF and you are much more restricted to what you adjust, as the heuristics need certain objects)

And it is not "external vs. simple MD type". If at all, it would be "external vs all the rest of the types" 🙂

So which processes are you talking about, just SOP or inventory? And which MD types are you talking about in detail?

I would guess you would need simple or compound anyhow

Kind regards

Irmi

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Irmi,

I apologize, I said Virtual when I wanted to say "External" MD types in my comment before (in fact we plan to use some Virtual MD in the configuration).

In this post I try to clarify only the concept of External MD types and the questions correctly was if you don't recomend use "External" MD in anycase for this situation, right?

Sorry again for the misunderstanding.

Thanks,

David.

Irmi_Kuntze
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Correct, in your case (and if you dont plan to introduce response or work elsewise with static model), I would not use external type

Cheers

Irmi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Irmi,

Ok I understand what you say, and according to your explanation we can cover our requirements with Simple and Compound MD Type.

Only one more question, to be 100% sure. You don't recommend use "Virtual" MD Type in anycase for this situation, right? I'd rather be sure before to start with the configuration of the Data Model.

Thanks a lot for all your explanation and patience!

Best regards,

David.

Irmi_Kuntze
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I did not comment on that at all yet, my comments where only external MD vs. all te rest of the types.

The usage of virtual MD types depend on your business requirement, not on where you load from

If for example you have MD types for Product and Customer. And you have a product group and Customer group. And if you than have an attribute which would be relevant on level product group - customer group, than it can make sense to work with virtual MD type, if you e.g. want to manually maintain it or if you have issues loading on the most detailed level of product and customer.

Yours

Irmi

Irmi_Kuntze
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

There is no need to replicate data to ECC first

If you have the data in MDM system, then load directly from there

and yes, interimswise you can maintain manually in IBP or load via flatfile

IN all cases simple MD type should be ok

YOurs

Irmi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Irmi,

Thanks for your answer. I understand what the explanation for External MD types is.

Let me put you in context to understand all the process. We are working in S&OP and Demand processes, and we have for example "Products" information as MD Type, which it is maintained in SAP MDG-M and they want to keep updated this Material governance directly in MDG-M and replicate the data in IBP to use in S&OP/Demand processes. And the requirement ask to have updated this information at least one time per day.

So based on your comments, there are two options for the configuration:

1. Create this "Product" Master Data as "Simple" MD Type. So we can start by importing and Excel file received from MDG-M to IBP (we should automate this process to have updated tables), and we need to specify in the configuration if the data has been changed/added/removed. Later we can replicate from ECC to IBP via HCI, but for that we need to replicate first the data from MDG-M to ECC.
  2. Create this "Product" MD as "External" MD Type. So the system can load data from ECC via Near Realtime-Interface. But for this second option we need to create this interface between IBP and ECC, but first we need tol replicate data from MDG-M to ECC.

Please let me know if I uderstood something wrong.

Are these the options that we have for this situation? Based on your experience and/or pros and cons: what is the best solution in terms of complexity, efficiency and time consumed to configure each option?

Thanks for all your answers,

Best regard,

David.

Irmi_Kuntze
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi

yes, once you set uo the type, you cannot change any more

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Irmhild,

Thanks for the answer, this is what I thought.

So, what is the best solution in this case?

Best regards,

David.