cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can WebDynpro ABAP Standard Application be converted to Fiori Like/UI5 App?

0 Kudos

Hello All,

Can a WebDynpro ABAP Standard App be converted to Fiori Like / SApUI5 App?

My Understanding :

1-  Cannot convert WebDynpro to Fiori like or SAPUI5

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

saurabh_vakil
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Are you looking to integrate the standard WD ABAP app into the launchpad? If yes, this can be done.

However if you are looking to convert some existing WD ABAP app into a SAPUI5 app and then integrate this into the launchpad, this too can be done by developing an OData service from the function modules that the WD ABAP is using and designing the UI screens using UI5. But there is no way to directly convert WD ABAP app into a Fiori app.

0 Kudos

Thank you for your Response and the confirmation on this understanding !

Yes, even I have the same understanding. However wanted to cross check with the experience of the Group.

*A)-->Actually Our Business Scenario is for MDG Apps.

There are only few Standard MDG Fiori Apps released as of now.

Only less than 20% of our requirement can be  met with the available Standard MDG Fiori Apps ( 1511/1602) . 80% of the requirement can be met with the previously existing MDG WD ABAP Apps.

*B) I understand the solution can be met with Integrating all of these with Fiori Launchpad and launch via NWBC/BC for HTML .

Still the ask from Business is Good to have Fiori/ Fiori Like/UI5 Apps. i.e . if the WDA Apps ( which are actually big in numbers ) can be converted to Fiori/SAPUI5 .

They want UI5 like screens .

*C) I also assume that to make the screen changes compatible to UI5 / Fiori Like App , using Persona can also not be a Choice . Because with Persona only few customizations on the existing screens can be done like hiding / enabling / disabling various fields . But cannot customize it to make it compatible to Fiori Like App.

*Would like to hear other's opinion also on this please .

------------------------------------

*D)-->   We do not have a clear path form SAP what their plan is to accommodate all the MDG WDA standard functionalities in the form of Firoi Apps. As the apps are huge in numbers , assumption is that this might not happen so soon in next 2 years   !

-> However, I understand that this conversion of WD4A to Fiori/UI5 Apps is not possible because of the following reasons :

1)WDA and SAPUI5 are two different technologies.

2)WDA does not support HTML5  / UI5

3)SAP UI5 is a replacement for Webdynpro ABAP for web based front end development

4)WDA Development in done in ABAP workbench .We cannot change the look and feel with embeded HTML or Javascript

5)However we can create a New Custom UI5 App in Eclipse / Web IDE , which will be compatible to any device - Mobile , Tablet or Desktop.

6)Can use existing BAPI/BOR to create OData service which can be consumed from the UI5 Application.

*E)--> Another Question is :

Understanding is that BC /NWBC for HTML  works as a web based link will be able to launch the WD ABAP Apps via Fiori Launchpad integrated to BC/NWBC.

*I understand that BC/NWBC for HTML will be a thin Client with no installable required at the user end .  Need a confirmation yet .

*F) Question is does BC /NWBC for HTML support  all devises - Mobile , Desktop, Tablet ?

I have marked the statements / Queries against which I would like others opinion/ consultation based on your experiences.

Many Thanks,

Richa