Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading SAPDB 7.3 to MaxDB 7.6 - kernel.exe sharing violation / in use

former_member214380
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello everybody,

currently an Upgrade of a SAPDB to MaxDB is driving me insane 😉

Situation is: I am trying to patch SAP DB v7.3.0.34 (or even .42) to Max DB v7.8 (latest Build).

On the first try I was going through the upgrade guide for v7.5 since the prerequisite for later versions seemed to be v7.5. Then I found SAP note http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/793550 and the passage "We support the direct upgrade from 7.3.00 to 7.6.00 as of Version 7.6.00.12." From that point on I used the MaxDB v7.6.0.35 install sources to patch the Database.

I kept on following the guide for v7.6 to upgrade with the in-place procedure by using "DBUPDATE.BAT –d <DBSID> -u <DBM,DBM password>". The upgrade process started and now it keeps on quitting on me with the following error:

I investigated the issue and indeed while the Installer ist switching the DB modes the kernel.exe is running and you can see it in the task manager. Thing is: The kernel.exe remains in the task manager while the installer starts the phase in the screenshot above. Of course exchange of the executable is not possible while it is in use.

An error message is thrown and some moments later the kernel.exe vanishes out of the process list in the task manager. I tried to manually quit the kernel.exe in task manager, but it won't let me do it due to missing permissions.

I am logged in as Administrator. DB is in Admin Mode and X-Server and Windows DB-Services are stopped also.

Any ideas from your side? 🙂

Regards and thank you!

Daniel

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member214380
Participant
0 Kudos

Solution for this specific issue was: Short before the phase "starting preparing phase of ... kernel..." started, I pressed [Pause] key on the keyboard. The process stopped at this point. I checked the task manager and waited for kernel.exe to terminate regular. As soon as it disappeared there resuming the interaction in the command window lead to success.