cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating LM-SERVICE. How to legally update the component?

former_member182655
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello colleagues,

I've faced with an interesting situation and I need your view and opinion.

Recently we have update our solman system 7.1 to SP14. Somehow the SOLMANDIAG component (LM-SERVICE) was not included into the xml. Dev and Prod SSM were updated to required abap and java stack. Yesterday we got a recommendation from support to update our LM-SERVICE to SP14.3 and here we got a problem.

I remember that java components can be easily updated using SUM. But SUM gave me no components to update. When I clicked on its report I saw the following information:

LM-SERVICE
Vendor: sap.com   Provider:  SAP AG

LMSERVICE14P_3-20006622.SCA

Vendor: sap.com   Provider: SAP AG
SC Rejected due to following reason(s):
• 002 : Component sap.com/LM-SERVICE cannot be updated to higher SP level
• 005 : Components sap.com/LM-SERVICE is part of SAP stack definition file.

I found the note 1641062. It says that if you get these return codes it means that the component can be updated using stack file.

Ok. I went to MOpz and ordered the component and some others java components also. When I ran SUM again it said that I had to choose abap too. Can anybody tell me why should I order abap component for updating java?

Ok. I fulfilled this stupid requirement and put into the basket some updates for add-on. SUM that time passed well, but I had to interrupt because it required additional space for cloning... So, to update one pity component I had to waste lots of time!

Finally, I updated it with SDM tool. But I suppose once SAP will close this feature and what we should do then?

Do you have any ideas how to make update of one component with less efforts?

Regards,

Artem

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member185239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Artem,

You can use the telnet method , to deploy the component or use the SDM.

Generate a new stack for SP14 once again including the LMSERVICE component.

Start the SUM for javaonly update.

SUM will not deploy the component which are already deployed and it will deploy the LMService.

With Regards

Ashutosh Chaturvedi

former_member182655
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ashutosh,

As I wrote, I used SDM, but I'm not sure that this is a legal method. SUM uses SDM, as JSPM did, but SUM requested me to have ABAP-part in my xml, and without xml it doesn't see my component (see the error I provided).

Regards,

Artem

mamartins
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi there,

In SolMan 7.1, is also possible to use JSPM to update JAVA application components.

Check on /usr/sap/[SID]/DVEBMGS00/j2ee/JSPM.

Regards,

MM

former_member182655
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Miguel,

Unfortunately, it's not possible.

Java Support Package Manager (JSPM) is no longer supported for this SAP NetWeaver release.

Use Software Update Manager (SUM) to perform this maintenance procedure. For more details, see SAP Note 1589311.

Regards,

Artem

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can use NWDS as well to apply the patch. Its the easiest way to apply single patches for java if you are familiar with NWDS.

former_member182655
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Most of the systems doesn't require to have NWDS. So that the proposed method will require additional effort. And, I think you agree, it's not a 'traditional' way to resolve the problem

Regards,

Artem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes I agree unless you want to run entire SUM for just a patch