cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

universe opinion

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, I have 2 databases having the same design one on oracle and the other on MSSQL Server.

On SAP BO4.2, I'd like to know, if it's possible to have only one universe unx which use these 2 databases and at the end I obtain 2 independant schemas on the same universe to switch from one to another.

Best regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Switch is not possible but yes you can include both schema in single multisource universe.You need to create independent objects from both the schema's.

Question if both are the same then why are you including in one?

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,  I'd like to have objects from SQL and other from ORACLE swimming in the same universe.

For your question: We have formulas that they haven't the same request in oracle and SQL , and we want to migrate to only one universe facilating the maintain of the universe (im new in BO and i try to understand the logic and different solution

thank you for your response

Former Member
0 Kudos

Theoratically, it's possible to have a universe adreesing two different databases, but the are some constraints like:

• The schema owner must be the same for both databases or have the ability to use synonyms.
  • Tables and columns must be identical: name and datatype
  • You must use the universe functions in the objects definition that will be translated in native SQL
  • If you have to create calculated columns or derived tables you must ensure that the SQL can be executed on both Oracle and SQL Server databases.
  • To summarize avoid native SQL expressions that cannot be executed on the different databases.

Now you can also have the ability to run the universe on Oracle or SQL Server at runtime using Data Security Profile (DSP).

The Connections data security profile is used to define alternate secured connections for a user. When this user runs a query on top of the universe, the connection defined at the data security profile is used instead of the one defined by default for this universe, so you can switch from Oracle to SQL Server and vice versa.

Didier