Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum number of roles per user increased in new release?

0 Kudos

Hello,

someone told me, without quoting a source, that the cap of 300 roles per user was removed in a certain SAP release.

Maybe I am blind, but I was not able to find this in any release change log.

Can someone confirm this and link me a source?

Cheers,

Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Peter

From my understanding the whole limit is not the roles but the associated generated profiles. This comes back to the table storage for user access.

AGR_USERS tables has an entry person user/role/validity date (i.e SU01 Roles Tab). However, USR04 has a single entry per user with all of the profile listed in a single cell. Due to the size of an attribute, there is a limit of up to about 312 profiles.

I think this is based on 312 * 12 characters for profile length (3744 characters) => less than maximum field size (3750 - quick google search on field PROFs length). In addition, the role might have more than one generated profile (incremented due to size of the profile) so it's not quite number of roles determines the limit.

Anyway, I don't know if it's changed but my recommendation would be to check if the table definition of the USR04 has changed and splits out user and profile?

Alternatively, assign 313 roles to a user with generated profile and see what happens?

Regards

Colleen

P.s which release? Could the comment be related to HANA platform possibly not needing to load buffer this way? (speculation here on my part).

8 REPLIES 8

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Peter

From my understanding the whole limit is not the roles but the associated generated profiles. This comes back to the table storage for user access.

AGR_USERS tables has an entry person user/role/validity date (i.e SU01 Roles Tab). However, USR04 has a single entry per user with all of the profile listed in a single cell. Due to the size of an attribute, there is a limit of up to about 312 profiles.

I think this is based on 312 * 12 characters for profile length (3744 characters) => less than maximum field size (3750 - quick google search on field PROFs length). In addition, the role might have more than one generated profile (incremented due to size of the profile) so it's not quite number of roles determines the limit.

Anyway, I don't know if it's changed but my recommendation would be to check if the table definition of the USR04 has changed and splits out user and profile?

Alternatively, assign 313 roles to a user with generated profile and see what happens?

Regards

Colleen

P.s which release? Could the comment be related to HANA platform possibly not needing to load buffer this way? (speculation here on my part).

0 Kudos

now the secret is out... shoot.

check out (750 release notes):

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw75/helpdata/en/ae/b8f56c16414048af0b29674bcb1f8c/content.htm?frameset=...

Lazy admins and lazy auth-concepts have their chance.... 😉

Bernhard

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you look closer, you will see that was from April Fools day..  🙂

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Thank you all for your input.

I am not sure, I like this change though

Cheers,

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Funny... I heard that they are going to decrease it to 99 profiles per user and abolish composite roles to improve performance and design.

Only HANA permissions (which do not use generation of profiles) are not limited anymore for this, and BW Analysis Auths as before as well.

Obviously I cannot quote the source, but it makes sense...  🙂

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

It'll be interesting to see how many customers run into this issue

"This change does not require a data migration. If you have custom coding that relies on these tables, adjust your code"

Now there is one less system constraint to use as justification to clean up bad role build

MichaelShea
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

There is a release not for the number of profiles in AS ABAP, here on SAP Help Portal.

Message was edited by: Michael Shea Trying to add the URL.... http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw75/helpdata/en/ae/b8f56c16414048af0b29674bcb1f8c/frameset.htm

0 Kudos

Indeed there is no limitation to the number of profiles assigned to a user. You can find the answer "What's New in SAP NetWeaver 7.5 (Release Notes)",