cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERP Production Server physical SWAP Scenario

former_member206857
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone, I’m posting this looking for input or past experiences and even other possible scenarios.

We received a new physical server to replace our existing Production server.

A straight server swap. Our Server is NW 7.31, ERP 6, EHP6, Kernel is 721_EXT, Windows 2008R2/MSSQL 2012

This is a standard install, The Application and DB sit on the same host. Basic Landscape, DEV->QA->PRD

I do however have many integration points, we are using Charm & ITSM, Technical monitoring and Process integration to an external APP.

Our Goal is to utilize the same server hostname/IP and SID. System copy method would be database –independent using SAP tools /detach/attach. So the scenario without the step by step process here, Just high level but:

1-Suspend Jobs

2- Lock Users

3-Stop SAP Application Server

4- Full backup of SQL DB and copy it to a network share

5- Copy Kernel/profiles to a network share

6-Shut off OLD server

7- Bring new NEW server online and rename hostname/IP to OLD server/reboot

8- Install SQL/Patch (same version as source)

9- Launch SWPM/ SYSTEM COPY/ DETACH/ATTACH and restore last full backup from step 4

From here I know the rest, reconfigure, the checks and tests…

Really my question starts at those steps I know I left out of steps but im speaking high level here.

Could I instead?? Bring up my NEW server under a different hostname/IP of course.

Install SQL on it but using the same instance name as OLD server.

Install SAP using the same SID as OLD server. Do all my configs, checks.

Leave this server running, independent and when I am ready for downtime, simply refresh it from OLD production? SWAP  hostname/IP at windows level Now I would need to make the changes in all the instance profiles and anywhere else SAP uses the hostname. But what this would do is buy me time during the day to get it up and running and a quicker downtime?

Anyone have any suggestions? See anything wrong? Again keep in mind its high level.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

yakcinar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Joshua,

I understood that downtime is importannt for you.

How much is your DB size?

If you do migration like below you will have minimized downtime.

1- Install new OS with the same hostname but different IP and isolate your new OS from your old network. In order not to have hostname conflict.

2- Install DB instance

3- Copy your system with one of your old backup with the same SID. Copy all folders, profiles etc to your new system. Change the parameters according to your new systems size.

4- stop new system

5- Take online backup of your old system and keep your log backup for restore on new system

6- Restore the DB with recovery mode to your new system

7- Apply all log files to your new system

7- Start downtime on your old system

8- Take the last log backup of your system.

9- Apply the last log of your old system

10- Shutdown your old system

11- Change the IP of your new system to old IP

12- Allow network connection to your new system

13- Start SAP on your new system.

Your system will be down for only the time needed for applying the last log file and changing the IP off your new system to old IP.

Hostname, IP and SID are the same so all connections from external systems will have no problem.

Regards,

Yuksel AKCINAR

former_member206857
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply!

I like your strategy but in my case, to have the same hostname and different IP, I believe that would throw a wrench in my setup because It's a domain installation right? I would use the same SIDADMS and SAPserviceSIDS right,,,so If I have to isolate it, this means it cannot take part of the same domain.

I'm thinking of doing exactly what you are saying but simply finding all the pointers of the hostname in the system and manually changing them.

I think I'm going to try it on a SANDBOX and see how it works.

Have any suggesstions where I would need to change the hostname? I'm thinking only on local files right? eveverything in the system will be the OLD hostname since its a restore of the server/

So maybe just my profiles??

yakcinar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Joshua,

Yo can use the same host name without domain. You can use domain installation, too. Your system can reach to domain server for the user confirmation only.

When you are changing your new IP to old IP (step 11) you can add your new system to your domain. Of course you need to delete the old one from domain at that time.

Changing hostname after SAP system installation makes problems.

You can add your SAP system host to a domain after system installation. This is not a problem.

Of course simulate it with a sandbox first.

Regards,

Yuksel AKCINAR