cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFC call from non-sap system to PI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Folks,

We have a requirement where we have a non-sap system that is only capable of RFC calls and we want to route these message through PI to ERP system. We are on SAP PI 7.31 Single stack. Any suggestion on how we can achieve this in PI? What config needs to be done in PI to receive these RFC calls from a non-abap system.

Thanks,

BG.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

daniel_guentner1
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi

I am fighting with IDOC connection (Jco) since the last weeks and I think I have now understood how it really works with AEX and Jco connections.

In general it is not the best interface design to use old Jco technology to connect to a non-ABAP system like AEX!

Jco is an API for ABAP stack, and so the NON-SAP system should change their interface to SOAP or …

But we all know that it is not easy to tell them that.

Who will pay, the project was a PI migration with little budget.

The software supplier will always say that his SAP connection is certified and so AEX is a SAP product and has to accept this 

On Idoc level I found several ways to do this successful but it is not what I like.

Maybe my input can help to solve the RFC issue as well.

I have currently no RFC Jco server but I configured my PI Sender RFC channel and got a green status.

But as I wrote it is not the future to connect old Jco solutions with AEX.

Please try this setup and give feedback if this solve your problem.

One more hint: Please use PO gateway also for IDOC communication and not SAP ERP gateway.

I love smgw but SAP told me that the future is to use the PO gateway and after my research in the last weeks I agree with SAP.

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bhargav

I think you should be able to just configure the scenario normally using RFC as the sender channel.

The only thing to note is the Application Server Gateway. Normally this Gateway is hosted on the sender backend ABAP system (i.e. ECC). However, since the sender system in your case is a non-SAP system, you might need to use the PI system as the gateway. Refer to the following discussion

The other thing to note though is the reference note mentioned there states that an ABAP system is required for the gateway, but it seems that from the thread it is achievable on an AEX system which is system stack. Maybe might be able to confirm this.

Regards

Eng Swee

former_member190293
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Swee Yeoh!

Wouldn't you please clarify how sender non-SAP system can make RFC calls. I'm much interested in this kind of scenario.

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Evgeniy,

SAP has always supported External RFC calls. SAP provides a SDK for external RFC calls that have been leveraged by multiple other systems / middlewares as well.

For example almost all middlewares provide a RFC and IDoc connector that does the same functions as our PI RFC and IDoc adapter. These leverage on the SDK provided by SAP. You can read on this here ,

https://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/22/042860488911d189490000e829fbbd/frameset.htm

Regards

Bhavesh

former_member190293
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bhavesh!

Thank you for your answer. I'll give it a try.

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Typo correction above:-

... AEX system which is single stack....

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Evgeniy

Just to add on, there are quite a bit of material on SCN on RFC calls from non-SAP system. Following is one by where you can call from Python. There are quite a number of others as well from Stefan (check his posts).

Regards

Eng Swee

former_member190293
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As I could see from that docs, one can call RFC-function in SAP Syatem using direct connection to it. I just don't understand, how I can use RFC-destination with registered server program in this case.

Ok, I'll read more about that

former_member190293
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bhargav!

First, you have to define the way the sender system will send requests to PI (SOAP, HTTP, Files etc.) and the type of communication (sync, async).

You also have to know request and response message types (it can be provided to you via some kind of definition or you create it in ESR and provide to sender system).

After that you create needed objects in ESR (interfaces, message and operating mappings) and set up technical routing in ID.