cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SFTP ADAPTER 1.0 in SAP PI 7.3: is data encrypted?

wilbertkarremans
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all;

We are using SAP PI 7.3 and have installed SFTP ADAPTER 1.0.

I have set up a receiver channel. I have entered my private key in my receiver channel. I asked our 3rd party to install the corresponding public certificate. The connection is working. Port 22. Fingerprint received from target server.

I have a very basic question. Is the traffic always encrypted?

Best regards;

Wilbert

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Wilbert

Just to add on.

There is a differentiation between transport level security and message level security. You can read up more on this via an internet search, below is just a sample.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff648863.aspx

SFTP/SSH provides transport level security/encryption, whilst PGP provides message level security/encryption. It is not uncommon to have both security types for an integration.

Regards

Eng Swee

former_member182412
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Wilbert,

Also check this document

SFTP is a network protocol that provides file access, file transfer, and file management functionalities over any reliable data stream. It was designed by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) as an extension of the Secure Shell protocol (SSH) version 2.0 to provide secure file transfer capability, Unlike simple FTP, it encrypts both commands and data, preventing passwords and sensitive information from being transmitted in the clear over the network. It is functionally similar to FTP, but because it uses a different protocol, you can't use a standard FTP client to talk to an SFTP server, nor can you connect to an FTP server with a client that supports only SFTP

Regards,

Praveen.

former_member186851
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Wilbert,

The Traffic is always safe and secured.

If you wish to encrypt the data you need to do it via PGP modules.