cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Dimension, One Measure - Need percentage column of measure as a whole?

0 Kudos

We have installed Design Studio 1.6 SP2.

I have a very simple bar chart to create. I am able to add the dimension of RESPONSE (YES, NO, NOT SURE). I have one measure of COUNT.

YES - 100

NO - 50

NOT SURE - 50

Total - 200

I'd like for the bar chart to show percentage of the total so,

YES - 50%

NO - 25%

NOT SURE - 50%

We are using UNX as a datasource. I do not have the Add Calculation option in the Set Initial View.

Lumira has the ability to say display as a percentage of total. However, I can't seem to locate where that is. I reviewed the write-up on the Add Calculation, but we don't have that option.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Has anyone had success with the 100% Stacked Bar Chart? It seems to be promising, but I am unable to get the individual rows to calculate a percentage as a whole. It seems to keep 100% for each line item.

Is there way to do calculations in the data binding/assigning section?

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Robert,

Unfortunately, you will not be able to achieve a percentage of overall total with the 100% stacked bar chart as this will calculate the percentage share of several measures across the chart category dimension as a % of 100.

Since the calculation cannot be performed client side with standard functionality, I think your only option is to perform the calculation in the universe as has suggested above.

Regards,

Mustafa.

0 Kudos

After many attempts, it appears, as advised, the best method is to simply do the calculation in the UNX.  It would seem logical to have this available within Design Studio. Luckily, I can get access to the UNX, but others may not.

I created a Percentage object in the UNX:

cast( 100*count(field1) as Decimal (18,8))/ sum(count(field1)) over ()

I bring this in with the response dimension and get the percentage as a whole number.

Thanks for the replies!

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

gasp!!! Stephen Few would not be pleased

Below is our Design Studio version of the same chart as the one below it.

I simplified my example in the above, but we have responses to questions on a survey. I count each response and would like to show the percent of total responses. So what percent of responses were "strongly agree"? I have 16k that answered strongly agree and 22k total responses so roughly 73%.

former_member195675
Participant
0 Kudos

Design Studio currently doesn't have this option at Design Time. SP2 for 1.6 will supposedly bring 'simple calculations' in the initial view (can't find the source) which will hopefully solve this problem.

For now, the only thing you can do is make the calculation in the universe. You should however make sure to not put any other dimensions in your query as this will mess up the percentages.

Good luck!

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, I agree with this.  There are calculation options in Edit > Initial view but it won't provide the calculations that Robert wants

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you are looking for the percentage of calculation against a universe as a datasource in Lumira it is under the gear below:

Design Studio doesn't have those calculations for the graph, as far as I can tell

0 Kudos

Thanks Tammy. I was searching for the functionality in Design Studio.

Do you have any recommendations on how to achieve this in Design Studio?

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Robert:

I was trying to picture how the above would look in a bar chart - it looks like it may be better suited to a pie chart (can't believe I'm saying that) - could you share more data details?