cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lumira Desktop SQL driver pre-configuration & Refresh on BI Platform

Former Member
0 Kudos

2 questions on Lumira relating to SQL Query/freehand SQL connections:

1.) is there a location where you can pre-configure the path for specific SQL drivers?  So our desktop users don't have to go into File-->Preferences-->SQL Drivers-->select desired driver-->navigate to appropriate driver.  Hoping there is a .properties type file we can set for the driver(s) we want them using.

2.) if you create a Lumira documentiwth a SQL Query/freehand SQL connection on the desktop, will the data be able to be refreshed on the Server?  what are the conditions necessary for this?  driver in the same location? 

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

alan_han
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Hillary,

Answers to your questions:

Q1: The JDBC driver path information are stored in a file called "cs_drivers.xml" under "C:\Users\Public\sapvi". A workaround is to hard code the path and other information in this XML file, and replace it on your user's desktop computer.

Q2, please refer to KBA 2240273 - How to Configure JDBC Driver for Lumira Server for BI Platform

Regards,

Alan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Awesome!  This is exactly what I was looking for for #1--I really appreciate it!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hillary - on the first one, please go vote for my Idea which is "under review" on Idea Place - https://ideas.sap.com/ct/ct_a_view_idea.bix?c=6013C007-A70B-4283-93CE-2531683D816D&idea_id=EE797927-...

Second question - not sure what you mean by server refresh?  You mean opening a document on the server that has a Freehand SQL connection?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tammy--

Agree that "saved" connections (or even managed connections) would be great for not having to type in server name, etc... each time, but that's not quite what I'm looking for.  Configuring the driver location is a 1 time task, does not have to be done each time you write a query.  Would love for these connections to be "managed" by the BI server as well, but right now looking to make the install process more silent for users right now.

Matthew Shaw actually directed me to his Lumira Connectivity Matrix which I think answers my second question--I want to actually refresh data in a document sourced from a freehand sql query viewed on BI server, not just be able to open the document on BI server.  According to his document under Interactive Refresh, the answer is yes, for some types of connections (I'm sure with the right configurations):

1. Databases support: SQL Server 2008 & 2012, Oracle, Generic JDBC
0 Kudos

4.2 Configuring Drivers

Context

If you have configured certain drivers in your system, only then you can refresh the Lumira

documents.So,make sure you have configured the drivers before you can refresh any Lumira documents.

Procedure

1. Navigate to Driver Program Files (x86) SAP BusinessObjects SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI

4.0 dataAccess connectionServer jdbc drivers .

2. If it is an oracle 11 data source, then perform the following:

a. Create an oracle11 folder under the drivers folder.

b. Place the ojdbc6.jar file in the oracle11 folder.

3. If it is JDBC data source, then perform the following:

a. Create a JDBC folder under the drivers folder.

b. Place the ojdbc6.jar file in the folder .

4. If it is sqlsrv data source, then perform the following:

a. Create a sqlsrv folder under the drivers folder.

b. Place the sqljdbc41.jar file in the sqlsrv directory.

Note

You can also create MSSQL version specific folders like, sqlsrv2008 or sqlsrv2012 and place the

sqljdbc4.jar file in it.

5. If it is a SQLAnywhere 16 data source, then perform the following:

a. Create a SQLAnywhere 16 folder under the drivers folder.

b. Place the jconn4.jar file in the SQLAnywhere 16 folder.

6. Navigate to Server list area of CMC.

7. Restart SIA from Central Configuration Manager .

You can now refresh the document.