cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practices Web Service Provision Consumption

0 Kudos

Dear All,

I'm trying to find SAP best practices for scenarios mentioned below. They are synchronous in nature.

1. Consume an external web service (Outside company network) from SAP PI

2. Provide Web service from SAP to an outside company through SAP PI

What are main factors that need to be considered? Performance, Security, Sync/Async service, Change Management etc.

Thank you for the help.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member186851
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Abdul,

1. Consume an external web service (Outside company network) from SAP PI

While consuming external webservice ensure any certificates are required. Also check for firewall/port settings which needs to be opened from PI to send data to webservice. Performance depends on the size and amount of data going to be triggered.

2. Provide Web service from SAP to an outside company through SAP PI.

This is should be a bit simple. Generate structure and share the WSDL and PI endpoints to the External system(who is going to consume services).Ensure all settings mentioned are open from PI so that data can be triggered to PI.

Below link should give you some more idea on configuration part.

SAPTechnical.COM - WebService to WebService Synchronous scenario

Developing and Configuring Web Service Scenarios - SAP NetWeaver Process Integration - SAP Library

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/2016a0b1-1780-2b10-97bd-be3ac6221...

0 Kudos

Hi Raghuraman,

Thank you for quick reply. I know how to configure the scenario but I'm looking for the b est practices especially for external web services integration. We have several cloud integration that are planned through SOAP web services and trying to find the conventional practices that need to be considered in terms performance, security etc.

We have WAF (Web Application Firewall) in the landscape and also several outbound and inbound scenarios with the cloud vendors are planned. Thank you.

former_member186851
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Adbul,

Yes for security wise you need to deploy certificates and firewall enablement.

Certificate based authentication is secured way of transferring data.

And for performance tuning the last links I shared will help you.