cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the technical differences between SAPUI5 apps and SAP Fiori apps?

Venkymachineni
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

Please explain the technical differences between SAPUI5 apps and SAP Fiori apps.

Thanks,

Venkatesh.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

aakash_neelaperumal2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Venkatesh,

SAPUI5 is the the technology. Fiori is just a name given by SAP for their SAPUI5 apps.

Fiori apps are developed using SAPUI5. And in addition Fiori has certain additional administrational activities to setup apps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAPUI5 is a JavaScript Framework

FIORI is superset of SAPUI5, uses SAPUI5 framework with oData and SAP business layer and is an end to end application launched on Fiori Launchpad only.

FIORI apps are built by SAP

FIORI-like apps can be built by any one - those use SAPUI5 framework.

Fiori Apps run only for Fiori LaunchPad in gateway/Portal/Cloud

SAPUI5 apps can run without Fiori LaunchPad or inside

If you want to make your SAPUI5 app a Fiori-like App, then you need to follow certain guidelines and best practices (I am still searching what they are).

Also all FIORI apps created by SAP run on OData Services

SAPUI5 apps can run on JSON or OData Services

FIORI apps need to have ECC/CRM or any SAP business Layer as they use OData

SAPUI5 apps - no dependency on SAP ECC/CRM etc..

FIORI apps can be deployed on on SAP Gateway/Cloud

SAPUI5 apps can be deployed on SAP Portal or Tomcat or SAP Gateway or Cloud any WebServer.

- hope this will clarify.

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

i don't think so

fiori is just a user experience, it doesn't have to have odata, ecc, crm at the backend, for now it just happen to have that, but those are not mandatory.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jun

can I have an example? where we do not use oData for a standard FIORI application.

may be you are saying for FIORI-Like App.

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

like I said, for now firori app just happen to have those thing you mentioned, but those are not mandatory

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not sure about Standard FIORI apps, but if you are building FIORI-Like apps using SAPUI5 framework/technology, you can use any backend or any RESTFUL service like either JSON or oData depends on your backend.

FIORI is just not UI - it will have other components like UI, oData Services, Components in ECC/CRM/HANA - combines with Fiori Launchpad & theme designer.

There are lot of prerequisists and technical requirements and Rapid Deployment and configuration documents in SCN and help.sap.com for standard fiori apps.

Here are some of the requirements:

SAP Fiori App Types and Database Requirements - SAP Fiori for SAP Business Suite - SAP Library

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAPUI5 is library not an app.Custom apps created using SAPui5 library are called SAPUi5 apps.

Fiori apps are the  standard apps(apps following some SAP standards) provided by SAP which you can extend and modify using SAPUi5.

former_member194549
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey,

SAPUI5 is a technology or framework (JavaScript, HTML, CSS) to create Apps.

Fiori is a design concept. If you build your Apps with SAPUI5 and follow this Fiori design concepts you get a fiori-like application.

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if technically, they are the same.....only ux may not

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

not much, just like rfc and bapi

Venkymachineni
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for you answer,

I am not that much aware of ABAP (RFC and BAPI) .

I am asking in terms of UI means performance, user experience etc...

Please elaborate your answer.

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

sap use ui5 build some ui, and call it fiori, clear now.....