Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does SAP overwrites the complete prog or applies just new changes?

former_member194142
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have a custom program, say Z_PROG, wherein 2 developers are working on the same program simultaneously under different transports, well.

Say, developer A added 10 lines code to Z_PROG by using TR_A and moved the TR_A to acceptance.

Now, developer B added 5 lines code to Z_PROG by using   TR_B and moved the TR_B to acceptance.

Now, the acceptance's Z_PROG has all changes of 15 new lines code addition, at this point if we move ONLY the TR_A from acceptance to production, pl. let us know

1) Whether the Z_PROG in production consists only developer A's changes of 10 lines code addition or

2) the Z_PROG gonna consist all (developer A and developer B - 10+5) changes of 15 lines code addition?

Also, pl. let us know that when we move a program to next environment then whether the SAP overwrites the whole program completely or whether SAP just implements the fresh new changes to the program?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A transport request may contain the whole program or only parts of it. The smallest unit is a source code module (AKA "include"). So it's not about 5 or 10 lines of code!

7 REPLIES 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

You're laboring under a misconception. Transports aren't moved from development to quality and then from quality to production.

They go from development to quality and then from development to production.

Rob

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A transport request may contain the whole program or only parts of it. The smallest unit is a source code module (AKA "include"). So it's not about 5 or 10 lines of code!

0 Kudos

Thank you.

Can you pl. let us know in the example I gave, whether the production version gonna have new 10 lines code or entire 15 lines new code, after moving TR_A

0 Kudos

Rob

Juwin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

We have a custom program, say Z_PROG, wherein 2 developers are working on the same program simultaneously under different transports, well.

AFAIK, 2 developers cannot work on same program in different TRs "simultaneously". SAP won't allow that. The 2nd developer will have to wait until the 1st TR is released, to include that object in his 2nd TR and lock it.

If only the 1st TR is moved to Production, it will only include the changes done by the 1st developer.

If only the 2nd TR is moved to Production, it will contain the changes done by both developers.

Thanks,

Juwin

0 Kudos

Thank you.

Yes, I mentioned in my OP that the 2nd developer started working on the program after 1st developer released his/her TR to QA

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't think you did.

In any event, this is all easily verifiable. Just try it yourself.

Rob