cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring the Generic Search for multiple Business Objects

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

beeing quite new to SAP MDG I'm evaluating the possibilities of the MDG Generic Search.

What I would like to do is to implement a search involving multiple custom objects in a sense of joining. I.e. we have a data model consisting of multiple object types with arbitrarily relations and cardinalities and the search (and the result list) must look into more than one table to find the wanted results.

I have read the related documentation under Configuring the Generic Search for a Particular Business Object - SAP Master Data Governance - SAP L... and I was able to set up a search for one of my entities. But now I'm wondering how to implement this for multiple objects without violating any standards. (Maybe I have to mention that I'm quite new in the SAP world overall :-)).

Is there an additional guide that I have overlooked?

The parent chapter Configuration of the Generic Search - SAP Master Data Governance - SAP Library suggests, that there is also a predefined search not only for a particular BO but also for an entire model or above. But I still have not found how to start it (or a sample) for further studies.

So at the moment the only idea I have is to implement a custom feeder class (inheriting CL_USMD_SEARCH_GUIBB_DQUERY) and override the concerned methods. But I'm not sure whether this is a legal way.

The alternative I see is to develop a completely new and custom Search UI but of course I do not want to "reinvent the wheel" ...

Does anyone know / can someone tell me what's the right way to implement the above mentioned search in MDG?

Many thanks & best regards

Brahmadeva

At the moment we are working with the Standard DB Seach but this will change in the future. Will the same concepts also be valid with Embedded or Enterprise Search?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Brahma,

I think single search involving multiple custom objects is not possible in the standard way ( USMD SEARCH ) in MDG. Every seach application modeled in the standard way in MDG is always associated with a single BO (Business Object ). A single Business Object could always be associated with a single Type 1 entity. This means for each object( Type 1 entity) a dedicated UI search application is recommended. 

But yes it is completely possible to develop a full fledged custom single search application for multiple custom objects. But in that case there wont be no integration with MDG framework and everything has to be handled through MDG APIs in custom code.

Also in the coming MDG releases in future, SAP might introduce new features in the UI which could not be obviously useful to your own created custom single FPM search allpication.

So go for individual UI applications built on standard way ( USMD SEARCH ) for each object ( Type 1 entity ).

So that you would be having loose coupling and can implement object specific code easily

Can inherit SAP features in UI in the upcoming releases.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member209780
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Brahma,

If you want to consolidate multiple custom objects in your search screen then I think custom search screen is the only way. Generally MDG search is based on a single type 1 entity and the relationships.

If the volume of data is not high then you can create a FPM application with a search query UIBB and search result UIBB with all the buttons. You can build your code leveraging MDG API in feeder class and also hyperlink the key fields with proper navigation. This should not be a big effort considering development is done in FPM. And yes if you are implementing only custom search this doesn't interfere with the MDG functionalities, so it should be fine.

Thanks

Goutham

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Goutham,

thank you for your feedback, helps me to stabilize the right idea / proper way ...

And you are touching another point I was speculating about. It's whether it is possible to search also for the other types of entities.

Do you perhaps know a documentation about the correlation between search and entity types? At the moment I do not understand the relations completely ...

Many thanks

Brahma