cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to transport a notification variant in Technical Monitoring ?

0 Kudos

Hello,

We are using SAP Solution Manager 7.1 SP14. We have one Solution Manager for Non-Prod System & one Solution Manager for Prod System.
We have created a custom template with customer metrics & alerts on the Non-Prod Solution Manager.

We have also configured Notifications as described in https://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/SM/Notifications+and+Incidents+for+BPMon+on+MAI

When we click on "Generate a transport request", the template, metrics & alerts are included in a transport request.

The problem is the notification variant are not imported when we are transporting on our Production Solution Manager.

Our Production Solution Manager has "no change allowed", so it is not possible to assign the notification directly on it.

How can we do that ?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

ruth_reilly
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

As per Toms information, the below may also be helpful to you.

1, Transporting Notification variant from one system to another (any alert consumer variant) is not possible. This is as per design. So, do not to assign a notification variant for the template which you plan to transport.

2, To change anything in the template in production system, you should open the production system for modifiable (ST as modifiable) in SPRO.

2053840 -> Implement this SAP Note which is helpful

2081908 ->This note avoid transporting the notification management entries along with the template transport, only the association between the template and recipient/recipient list will reach the target system and if the corresponding recipient list is not there in the target system then the status will shows as ‘Obsolete’ in the notification tab. In this case the customer have to create the recipient list with the same id in the target system. For more information on this, please refer the note description.

Regards,

Ruth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ruth.

I've already implemented 2053840.

I won't be implementing 2081908, as I am happy to try and manage the design of the templates etc in the development system.  I can understand the reason for not being able to transport the mapping, but I feel that SAP are trying to be too careful here.

Maybe an additional option on the "Generate Request" function whereby you can only transport that variant mapping if you do one template at a time via "Generate Request" and selecting a new specific option "Single template + notification variant".

Anyhow, here are a few more SAP notes of interest that are applicable to transporting templates:

1794266SV-SMG-MON-ALR-CFGTemplate getting saved in wrong transport request
2104692SV-SMG-MON-ALR-CFGTransport Issues during generate request
1833865SV-SMG-MON-ALR-CFGAvoid Obsolete Recipient Lists/Recipients during transport

Quite frustrating really.

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Notifications are system dependent in SolMan 7.1 so you cannot transport them as far as I know.

It's one of those things which I find annoying as well . The problem, currently, is that the recipient pool etc is also not transferred so you could get inconsistencies so those settings are not transported.

I'm not sure if SAP made changes already for SolMan 7.2 ~ I'll provide feedback / check with SAP on the point.

So either you open up your system to make the change and close it again or you make the changes on production (oh oh not best practice anymore) directly to avoid having to assign/change the notification settings over and over again. Personally, I believe the end-user experience is important so I tend to just do this in production but it depends on the customers wishes really, I adapt accordingly .

Best regards

Tom

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, this saved me from hours of searching for a possible bug.

I can't believe the variant is not transportable.

Or at least, that a variant of the same name could just be auto-assigned to the template in the target system (if the variant exists).
Not only is the current method time consuming, but in my setup, it requests a transport.

Which means I'll either have to change the system config to permit changes without transports, or I'll have a lot of transports with template changes, which means the templates are then locked.

Such a pain.