cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stop hourly background job only for two hours

0 Kudos

Hi Guru's

I have a requirement

There is a background job in our Production system which is scheduled to run on hourly basis regularly . i have received a new requirement to stop executing the job for between 4 pm to 7 pm  only on Sunday and rest of the days it should run regularly on hourly basis

awaiting for valid inputs

Regards

Harsha

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

tamil_arasan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sri,

I am not sure how this would work however logically I am giving my suggestion. Please try this in non-production systems and verify, if works then do the same in PRD.

1. define calendar with all days as working days except sunday --> schedule the job on hourly basis based on this calendar

2. Sunday until 4pm-->create one more calendar with all sundays only working day and remaining are holidays, schedule the same job , specify the option "No Start After" 4pm (only on sundays util 4pm only)

3. Sunday after 7pm--> reuse the same calendar you have created in step 2 (calendar with all Sundays are working day), schedule the same job with different name from 7pm to hourly basis only during working days as per the created calendar (only on sundays from 7pm to end of sunday)

On Monday, the first created job should continue the execution.

If you have CPS in your environment, you may check options with CPS to schedule the job.

If anybody has less complex idea, Please share here.

Thanks,

Pradeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree with Pradeep about defining a six day calendar for the hourly requirement. But personally, I would copy the job 22 times giving each job name a unique name like:

JOBNAME_SUN_0100,

JOBNAME_SUN_0200,

JOBNAME_SUN_0300,

JOBNAME_SUN_1200,

JOBNAME_SUN_1300,

JOBNAME_SUN_1400,

JOBNAME_SUN_1500,

JOBNAME_SUN_2000,

I would schedule those jobs on a weekly frequency; each with their appropriate start time.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Thank you all very much for all the valid inputs . will try and discuss all these suggestions within our team and will come up with one feasible  solution

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have dealt with these kinds of impromptu scheduling change requirements from the business units for years. Without a central scheduling system like Redwood, I found that the best way to deal with these kinds of requirements was the simplest way. Create a special job or jobs. It's tedious, but less error prone.

• If a job doesn't conform to a hourly frequency, then look at creating a series of daily jobs.
  • If a job doesn't conform to a daily frequency, then look at creating a series of weekly jobs.

Good luck.

tamil_arasan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Yes, this is good and simple  . He has to follow this,

1. Define Calendar for weekdays including Saturday and schedule the job on hourly basis

2. Schedule 22 jobs on weekly basis on Sundays as you suggested

or  Calendar with Sundays as working day as I have suggested.

Thanks,

Pradeep

0 Kudos

ANY HELP ??

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Without the use of a scheduler (SAP Cronacle, Control-M, Dollar-U...) I only see 2 solutions

1) Create a specific ABAP program that will check the date and run your program only if it is not Sunday between 3 to 7.

Schedule that specific ABAP program to run hourly.

2) Use the OS scheduler (Windows task manager or Unix Cron) to define 24 daily tasks for each hour running every day, except the tasks for 4pm to 7pm that will not run on Sunday.

Create a specific event using transaction SM64

The OS scheduler tasks will raise the created event running sapevt OS command

Create your job in SAP as an event based periodic job waiting for the event you have defined.

Periodic event based program reschedule itself automatically once it has run.

Using Unix cron it could be possible to only define 2 tasks

- one running every hour on Monday to Saturday

- one running at specific hours on Sunday

It does not seem to be possible to do the same with the Windows task manager, so on Windows => 24 tasks !

Best regards