cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide specific leafs and parents from a hierarchy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have been working a lot with HANA, Hierarchies and Design Studio these last months but we have a problem quite challenging. We have a hierarchy like this in our DataSource:

We would like to hide (and not to filter, this is important) some of the nodes at different levels. For example, we would like to show a simple crosstab with RESULTADO NETO and EBITDA, hiding these nodes: RESULTADO A.I.S., RESULTADO antes extra... and EBIT.

The problem is that if we filter RESULTADO NETO and EBITDA, the crosstab shows RESULTADO NETO but with all the childs not only EBITDA so, you know if there is a way to hide some elements of the hierarchy?

We though of creating a flag attribute for the hierarchy with HANA, so if the flag is 1 for RESULTADO NETO and EBITDA, we filter this flag = 1 instead of the hierarchy, but using this method arises more problems because the measure for RESULTADO NETO is not correct, because filtering makes the current aggregation to forget the others childs of RESULTADO NETO and only sums EBITDA.

We have already searched for similar threads and found some nice addons like Visual BI or ChartPlus, but we think these addons cannot fulfill our requirement.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give us!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Alejandro,

could you share a little bit more details on what you are then trying to do with the selected items ?

The behavior that you are describing above that when you select a Hierarchy Node you receive the children as well - that is the standard BEx behavior and you can try that by using a BEx query with a hierarchy node variable where you then will receive the Node and you can expand to the children - that is the standard behavior.

regards

Ingo Hilgefort, Visual BI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ingo,

We are trying to hide some of the elements of the hierarchy. For example, we have this hierarchy:

Node A

Node B

Node C

Node D

Node E

And we want to show in a crosstab only the Node A and Node D. Is this possible?

We are working with HANA as a datasource, we don't have BW neither Query Designer

Thanks

IngoH
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Alejandro,

you can get the information on the nodes, but the default behavior of Design Studio is that when the node has been selected, the children are available as well for the drill down.

so in the crosstab the node is shown and the user has the option to open up the node to see the next level and in your case because you select the top node, the other elements are included as well.

that is so far the standard behavior.

Ingo

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Alejandro - as a work-around, can you try this in Analysis Office?  See Alfred Lee's post

What version of Design Studio are you using?  Which SP?

The type of workflow you are using sounds like something we do here today using Crystal Reports - it appears more financial-statement oriented

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Tammy,

Indeed, we are trying to make a Financial dashboard but we have a lot of problems working with the financial hierarchies. There isn't a navite way to show only the elements we want? The analysis for officce is not an option for us.

Thanks

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Alejandro - I don't have HANA as a data source so I can't try this myself

Have you tried hiding when you go to Edit > Initial view? 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Tammy, how can I hide elements in the Initial view?

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Unfortunately I don't see a way to do this at the "leaf" level

You can select Members - no display or even Filter - but I don't think this is what you want to do.

There is a related idea here on Idea Place - I recommend you vote for it:

Options to hide or show totals of hierarchies in charts : View Idea

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yeah, this idea it's similar what we want to archieve, I voted it.

Thanks.