Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amortization (Deferral) of FX Valuation

ankish
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am trying to map following scenario in TRM with product type 04X.

There are borrowings in foreign currency bonds (USD) with fixed interest rate. These were issued at discount which needs to be amortized over the period of bond. Also, Foreign currency valuation needs to be recorded and capitalized to FCMITDA account as required by Indian GAAP. This FCMITDA account should be amortized over the remaining period of bonds.

I have configured the system and I am also able to post FOREX valuation and amortization of Discount. However I am not sure whether I can amortize the FOREX valuation. Let me explain it with example:

There is Foreign Currency Bonds issued at nominal price USD 1,000,000 with Discount of 20,000 so the book value is 980,000. It was posted on 1st April @ 67 (USD to INR).

I am good with discount so no issues.

When we do valuation at any key date and rate is 66.50 there will be Exchange gain of INR 490,000 (980,000*.50). Following would be the accounting entry:

Dr  Bonds A/c (Balance Sheet Account)

Cr  FCMITDA A/c (Balance Sheet Account)

FOREX valuation is posted to FCMITDA account (As required by Indian GAAP). This amount (INR 490,000) has to be amortized (Deferred) to the remaining life of the bond. They do FOREX valuation on a quarterly basis and amortize it accordingly. Following accounting entry is passed for amortization:

Dr  FCMITDA A/c

Cr  Amortization - FX Gain/loss A/c (P&L Account)

There will be opposite entry if there is exchange loss.

I am not able to perform amortization of FCMITDA A/c in TRM.

Please help.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ankush,

Add a Ammortization step in you PMP and you can choose whether the ammortization rule is LAC or SAC.

Based on the discount provided in the transaction ammortization will be calculated and posted via TPM1 / TPM18.

Check note - 864857 & 1117778 for details on the functionality.

Regards,

Nikhil

ankish
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Nikhil,

I am already using Amortization for Discount and is working fine. I am struggling with the amortization for FOREX valuation as explained. Both of the notes you mentioned is for Amortization with SAC method and does not address this issue.

Thanks,

Ankish

rohitbali
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Did you try configuring

Assign Update Types for Accrual/Deferral?

Regards,

Rohit Bali

ankish
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

Tried this, not working.

Thanks,

Ankish